• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Angelfish and Cacatuoides can they be in the same tank?

nightowl1350

5 Year Member
I have 2 Cacatuoides (both female I think) can they be put in a community tank with angelfish? The gravel in the tank looks like crushed granite (very heavy and sharp edges) would that be ok for the Cacatuoides or what substrate should they have? Right now they are in a bare bottomed tank, but I have had them for over 4 weeks and want to move them soon.

Would they do better in a small tank with just the 2 of them (maybe a mate to see if I can breed them)?

Thanks for any suggestions!

rafael

5 Year Member
Yes, you can maintain to both species in the same tank. :wink:

As far as the substrate it is better than it is formed by rollings stones (although to that affect more it is to the Corydoras)...
Would they do better in a small tank with just the 2 of them (maybe a mate to see if I can breed them)?
Better it is, as far as than the parents will not be so nervous when not having potentials as much pregivers of eggs as of the futures alevines.

In any option you have to have a cave for each female.

Regards,

cdawson

5 Year Member
IME No you can't keep angels and cacatuoides in the same tank, cockatoos are too inquisitive and will constantly nip at the fins of the angels. This goes for all apistos. I've tried about 6 different species with angels and the same result every time, nipped angel fins. It got so bad the male cockatoo had our pair of angels cowering in the top corner of the tank behind our bacopa.

The cockatoos will do much better in a smaller tank. I've got a pair in a 10g that were the first set of apistos to be kicked out of our planted tank for nipping at the angels. They breed like clockwork and I'm always transferring new fry to the breeding tank. There's always at least 20-30 fry somewhere in the tank at all times. Both parents raise them, but then my male is from the wild.

cootwarm

5 Year Member
I think it depends on the personality of the individual fish. I currently have 2 large veil tailed angels in a 55 gallon with 5 male apistogrammas; 1 TR cacatuoides, 1 atahualpa, 1 borellii, 1 inca, and 1 maulbruter. None bother the angels at all. In fact, they totally ignore the angels. When I buy apistos, I like to get at least 2 pair which gives me a trio and a backup male. The backup males go into my 55 gallon community tank. This would be a different situation if there was a breeding pair of apistos.

Michael

mervin

5 Year Member

ancientaquarist

5 Year Member
RE: Angels and cacatuoides

I don't keep angels but I have several pairs and trios of A. cacatuoides in a 40 gallon
community tank with Pelvicachromis spp. and perhaps a dozen in my 150 community
where they get along with Etroplus maculatus, Anomalochromis thomasi, kribensis,
a group of six Nanacara anomala and 7 more spp. of apistos.

They do not bother the gouramies threadfins, get along with each other and the tremendous group of dithers. There are only 5 aggressive fishes in the tank. 1 turquoise
red discus and four male Mikrogeophagus altispinosus. These five thugs eat first and most and hastle L. dorsigeras and curviceps, the Etroplus and all the apistos and
Nanacaras.

Both the dorsigeras and curviceps have raised fry in this mini-river and so have
Pelvicachromis pulcher and taeniatus. When the fry are about 25-30 in number I move
them into a 40 gallon growing on tank. The aquarium has numerous caves and is densely
planted.

nightowl1350

5 Year Member
mervin....awesome looking tanks.
It sounds like all fish, some have good luck others bad in mixing them. If I do mix them together I will have a back up tank for the apistos :) All I need to do is find a male, then I would keep them in a 10 to breed
Thanks for all the input :)

mervin

5 Year Member
Thanks for all your kind comments.

those are wild altum and not "koi" angles.
black bars are light cos i think due to the bright lights, 55W x 8 pcs of PL lights.

tank size - 1500mm x 600mm x 600mm
PH - 6.4
GH - 0-1
KH - 3-3.5

Temp - depending on the time of the year. 26-29'C

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AND

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….