• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Algodon 1 & 2

Rolo

5 Year Member
How can one tell the difference between these 2 fellas ?

I can... :D

greetings,
Rolo

(I wish you some nice days in Frankfurt, it's f***ing cold here at the moment. Have you contacted Sven or Sandra Müller?)

mervin

5 Year Member
no. i have not contacted them.
think it will be better to go apistos hunting in the summer.

like you said.....SUPER COLD !!!!!

just got myself 3 pcs of sp.Freasa !!!!
MAN !!! they r beautiful !!!

are these fishes in Germany ???

regards,
mervin

mervin

5 Year Member
yup !!!
teach me Rolo........

there has been a alot of these fishes in the market recently......
i think it is algodon 1 but many hobbyist here disagree.....

Rolo

5 Year Member
mervin said:
just got myself 3 pcs of sp.Freasa !!!!
MAN !!! they r beautiful !!!
are these fishes in Germany ???

Ugh, I hate that game with all these names ;-)
I have to figure out first, what the real name of the species sp. "Freasa" is. :p I read it already and I have known it , but can't remember at the moment.

By the way.... Algodon I & II are sp. "Papagei" (Papagallo) and sp. "Pebas". Forget these Algodon names, they are pretty confusing.
Main difference, except the locality, is the form of the black mark in front of the caudal fin (arrgh, there no dictionary could help *g*)
It is not absolutely sure, if they are really two different species, there are different opinions.
...but later more.

greetings,
Rolo

mervin

5 Year Member
think the Amercians call it sp.Fressa
Japanese call it sp. Deamante.
others call it sp.Strawberry !!!! :roll:

hahaha !!!
same fish but so many names !!!
as if there are nothing else in life to confuse us !!!

hahaha !!!

Rolo

5 Year Member
mervin said:
think the Amercians call it sp.Fressa
Japanese call it sp. Deamante.
others call it sp.Strawberry !!!! :roll:

Yes, the name "Strawberry" I heard too, "Deamante" is new for me (thanx!).
But in germany this species is called "Ap. sp. "Barbarossa" or "Barbaroja" ;-)
A beautiful (and here in germany a pretty new, rare and expensive) species from an influx of the Ucayali river. I'm looking for it, but there are only a few breeders in Eastern Germany, who have them... so I'm still awaiting to get them.

But now to the differences of the Algodons....
First I must confess that I made a mistake in my last posting *grml* (I'm growing older...damned! :roll: )

"Algodon I" is sp. "Papagei", that was correct, but "Algodon II" is NOT sp. "Pebas", as I wrote, it is another species, called sp. "Putumayo".
Ap. sp. "Pebas" is a species quite similar to the "Papagei" and, as Koslowski told me, it's maybe the same species. I mixed that up, sorry.
The sp. "Putumayo ic closer related to Ap. cruzi.

So, it's quite easier to make a difference between Papagei an Putumayo (Algodon I & II) than between Papagei and Pebas, as I thought.... hehe :D
Just have a lookat these pictures:

Ap. sp. "Papagei" (young and with less color the body, but with the typical red and yellow dorsal fin. Unfortunately the caudal spot (??? - the black spot at the tail *g*) isn't seeable well, which is important for the differences to Pebas - but anyway, that's better to see at the females)
ap_papagei.jpg

Ap. sp. "Papagei" (small and dark picture, but a bit more "typical" view - photo by O. Hermann)
papageimann_neu3.jpg

Ap. sp. "Putumayo" with typical second stripe at the lower half of the body and vertical separated caudal spot.
ap_putumayo.jpg

Ap. sp. "Putumayo" (with a change in mood, but here you can see the typical orange stripes in the caudal fin)
ap_putumayo2.jpg

Any questions? *g*
Unfortunately I have no good pics from Ap. sp. "Pebas", but you could google for it.
Sadly, meanwhile you often get breeding forms of Papagei, where it seems, that Papagei and Pebas are intermixed.

greetings,
Rolo

fideltagamma

5 Year Member
Hi Rolo,

these are very nice fish. I think I must wait for my chances. If I can get some Vielflecks ;) , than I will wait for my Fresa (Barbarossa) and Papagei as well. If I'm correct, the Papagei belongs to the Pebas complex, the Fresa belongs to the agassizi complex and Vielfleck belongs to somewhere else, it might be regani or something (macmasteri?). So they shall not interbreed, if I keep them in the same aquarium.

Are they available in Germany? Because, here we have quite a few misnamed species, but nothing like that so far.

greetings

Daniel

Rolo

5 Year Member
fideltagamma said:
these are very nice fish. I think I must wait for my chances. If I can get some Vielflecks ;) , than I will wait for my Fresa (Barbarossa) and Papagei as well.
Wow, you can get some Vielflecks? Nice fish, you should buy them as soon as possible ;-) *hehe*

fideltagamma said:
If I'm correct, the Papagei belongs to the Pebas complex, the Fresa belongs to the agassizi complex and Vielfleck belongs to somewhere else, it might be regani or something (macmasteri?). So they shall not interbreed, if I keep them in the same aquarium.
Nearly correct ;-) I'm referring to Koslowskis systematics (you can see at our homepage):
Papagei is Pebas complex, that's right. It is in the A. regani group.
Barbarossa is closer related to A. bitaeniata, so it should be A. bitaeniata group, but it is A. agasiizii line.
Vielfleck is Xingú complex, and that's also Ap. regani group.

I don't think, they will interbreed.

fideltagamma said:
Are they available in Germany? Because, here we have quite a few misnamed species, but nothing like that so far.
Maybe I could get some "pure" Papagei Apistos for you. They become rare here, but I know a breeder near to me, wo still have them. I have to ask, if there are juveniles available, when you come to get the Vielflecks.

greetings,
Rolo

fideltagamma

5 Year Member
Hello again,

I saved a fish from my LFS, it looked terribly stressed and its fins were torn, but that was the only one remaining of its species in the shop. At least I found no fish looking alike. I definitely think it is an A. sp. Putumayo.

Though I am not sure at all, as I am VERY beginner and very bad at id-ing. So I seek to find knowledge here. Could anyone please describe the charactristics of sp. Putumayo and sp. Papagei and sp. Pebas especially how to differentiate the species. I don't think it can be anything else.

Sorry I cannot add a picture yet.

Thanks

Daniel

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cesarmora1

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….