• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Aggie breeding behavoiurs

DH247

5 Year Member
Hey,

I was just wondering what seems to be the norm for behaviour with breeding aggies. As I am unable to get my hands on Cichlid Atlas 1 I was wondering if I might call on some of your experiences.

I have 2 pairs of double reds and the dominant male will harass (but not physically attack) everything else that comes into 'his' corner, including the females.

As well, the females (1 more than the other) have been changing into a slightly yellow colouration that intensifies a bit when chased/harassed. Is this a part of pre-brooding behaviour?

I'm also assuming that once a female is ready she will present herself to a male in full brood dress. Or do they require more 'posturing' to one another in order trigger spawning?

Are there any other behaviours I can keep an eye out for that could indicate potential spawning??

Oh yes, pH ~6.3, KH 1, GH 2. 33% water changes every week. 29G (regular tank) with 5 Beckford's pencil fish, 1 small peppered cory, 2 hill-stream loaches, and 1 small goby (~3cm and of which I have not seen or heard from in quite some time :frown:. If i find her she's going into my other tank where there will not be breeding fish or little fry to make a meal of!). And there are lots of places to hide

I know some of these questions are pretty Mickey Mouse but I've never been through this before and I am curious to know as much as I can... Crap... I am gonna make one hullava husband/father one day..... :eek: ... Crap turning 25 in the next few months... when the hell did that happen.....:confused:... Oh sorry, got sidetracked :cool:. Looks like I might be planning a 'quarter-life crisis' sooner than I thought!! Thanks!!

Cam

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Your aggies seem to be behaving normally. Just have patience. You don't say how large the aquarium is. Bigger is definitely better.

Crap turned 25 almost 35 years ago ... when the hell did I get this old .....:confused:... Oh sorry, got sidetracked :cool:.

DH247

5 Year Member
Thanks Mike. I've been eying a 30 gallon long tank at the LFS, but I sadly just do not have the room in my apt right now. I would much prefer to have them in a 30G long with a tank divider or just a lot of plantings. As it is my tank is 30"x12"x18", heavily planted with lots of driftwood, rocks, and coconut caves. Judging from their interactions and where each of them likes to hang out I get the feeling this is on the small side of what is acceptable. I've been keeping my eye on 'em just to make sure there isn't any violence. If there is then I will put my divider back in to section off the other male and/or a female.

And don't worry Mike, your secret is safe with me!! :wink:

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Yes, a 29 gallon High tank is about maxed for comfortably housing your 4 fish. Figure a square foot per female and another ½ square foot for each male that isn't part of a females brood territory. More apisto can be added if there are smaller boundaries set up in the tank, but it often leads to more conflicts & less breeding.

Secret? ... what secret? ... Oh no, not another senior moment!:eek::biggrin:

DH247

5 Year Member
Hmmm, allright. Thanks! That helps a lot. My current layout is nice and pleasing to the eye, but functionally I don't know if I have maximized the area I have access to. I've got a lot of stuff in the mid- and fore-ground. So the middle of the tank is quite broken up but the very front inch and very back inch are not. So maybe a change of layout would help out... I guess I need to figure out if it's worth disturbing them right now.

On another note, it's been great watching them. The one female that's closer to being ready will now go and find the dominant male and turn a more vibrant yellow (right on the edge of his territory), and the male will display in an 'S' shape with his fins out. I had no idea that the double red males would turn such a vibrant white-gold over their entire body, except for the lateral line and cheek line of course! And then the female will take off and sometimes the male will give chase. And every day it seems that the female is getting a bit more yellow and less tan or dark, and a little more plump by her anal fin! It's just really cool to see such polychromatic displays in fish. I did not know they could change their colour so quickly and to the extent that they do. Very cool!:biggrin:

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kanihong

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….