• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

agazizi fry

electric eel

5 Year Member
need some advice.i pulled the 32- 1/2" fry put them in a 10gal tank.i didn't use parents tank water like i should have and they were all dead by the next day.i'm not sure if it was the water or if i overfed them bbs.i've had angel frys stomach bust before so i'm not sure what killed them.the female has a new batch of maybe 50 two day freeswimming fry and i missed one of the bigger fry.i've already seen it trying to get its smaller siblings.although mom is doing a good job of protecting them i want to pull them today to make sure i don't lose any.i will use parents tank water this time.the 1"juvies i moved before didn't seem that sensitive to water chemistry.i moved them all and lost none.if you guys think it was water how moch water can i get away with changing on the new fry once i move them?would 10% be a safe bet.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Personally, I think 30, ½" fry is too many to grow out in a 10 gallon tank. Heavy population & heavy feeding probably raised ammonia levels to a lethal level, even for an established filter. It's hard to say what the problem is without knowing the water values of and how you filter your grow-out tank.

electric eel

5 Year Member
they were only in there one day.it was a cycled tank with a sponge filter.i changed 95% of the water the day before.water was ph6(very close to parents) and hardness 50ppm temp was 80f(also within a couple degrees of parents).i went ahead and put the cacautoides babies in with them(there were only 5 and they are still alive)admittedly i know very little about apistos but i have grown out a few thousand angels,rams and assorted tangs and i've never had anything but problems when i put a small number of fry in a big tank.i always move them to bigger tanks as they outgrow what they are in.i find it much easier to deal with spawns of 2 or 3 hundred.maybe i should have been more specific. are agazizi fry particularly sensitive to water chemistry changes?most fish i have raised weren't with the exception of a couple kinds of tanganykans but i know many fish fry are(at least thats what i've read)also bioload on the tank before was 12 adult neon tetras.so i'm thinking the filter should have more then been able to handle 36 apisto fry.

Mud Pie Mama

5 Year Member
Is there anyway you can leave the Mom apisto and new fry in the original tank, and pull out the Papa and older fry? Apisto Moms do such a good job sheparding their fry that they do much better w/ Mom for the first month.

electric eel

5 Year Member
my water is so hard here.my resources for providing soft water are stretched to the limit.the little female is an awesome mom prob.as attentive as any fish i've kept to date.riftlake cichlids are the obvious favourite in this area.i was getting a little bored with them thus the apistos(certainly a challenge!for me anyway)

electric eel

5 Year Member
i just got rid of 6 adult discus.this should take some pressure off me.just got my first successful discus spawn by the way.i was hoping when i got the apistos i would be able to grow out the fry in my tap water.i've had a lot of luck doing this with rams(which seem to be a whole lot more in demand here then apistos)

Bev N

Apisto Club
5 Year Member
I have not found the aggie fry to be any more sensitive than any of the others. I usually leave the youngins with the mom for about a month or so because they usually take very good care. I have yet to have a male be a problem in the tank with fry. I may be just lucky there.

I don't acclimate from the low ph of the parent tank to the neutral ph of the grow out tank. I know. I'm not saying you should but it has worked fine for me.

I usually move them into a 20 to start. The parents are in 15s and 20s so it's not a big jump. I do the same with angel fry unless it's an extremely large spawn of say 800 or so. Then I split them up. Personally I don't think apisto fry are any more sensitive than rams or angels. That is just my personal experience.

It's rather strange they all died off overnight. Did you leave the neons in the tank as well? I'm just wondering if they died or did you move them. Is there any way that something got into the tank?

electric eel

5 Year Member
thanks for the info bev!i had taken the neons out.i planned to spawn them just for kicks but haven't gotten around to it.a guy in our club spawns them pretty regularly.i'm just going to leave the aggie babies in with the parents and whatever makes it makes it.i just posted some pairs on my home clubs forum and there doesn't seem to be much interest anyway.i think i'm going to keep enough of my fry to start a colony in a 55 and not worry too much about producing a lot of them.my male also doesn't seem to bother the fry.i was watching day before yesterday and he had ample oportunity to eat a couple of them and never did.they are very cool fish and i can't wait till i can get a few pairs in a bigger tank so i can observe their behavior.hoped to sell a few but i gave up on making much money in the hobby a while ago.with a 5 year old and an 11year old and a full time job i just don't have time.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….