• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

agassizii ID & sexing

DutchyIvo

Hi all!

A simple question, which I hope is as easy to answer for you Apisto-freaks as it was for me to ask :)
These 4 little cuties where bought as A. agassizii (Peru WC).

The largest one, about 4,5-5 cm TL

ag-01_zps637ee6ea.jpg

The 2nd largest one, just a tad smaller, about 4-4,5 cm TL

ag-02_zpsca6ce1e8.jpg

ag-03_zps45ce253a.jpg

ag-04_zps3c667364.jpg

The third in row, a tad smaller than the second one, about 3,5-4 cm TL. This one has a more rounded body shape (a fat belly one could say) and (unfortunately never when you try to take a picture) at time a somewhat cryptic color pattern with lots of black

ag-05_zpsc4ec4c81.jpg

ag-06_zps8ebe588d.jpg

The smallest one, a bit over 2,5-3 cm TL. This one had by far the most yellow.

ag-07_zps3a26c62b.jpg

Any thoughts on ID and sex?

DutchyIvo

Wow I totally forgot about this one. My apologies guys!
Anyways. Thanks Mike for your insights. The first and second turned out to be males, the two latter are females.
A few pictures are attached for your viewing pleasure.

2015-01-17-08_zpsf578d1bd.jpg

2015-02-04-03_zpse0992eef.jpg

2015-02-04-06_zpsdb54e141.jpg

A few hints of orange in the dorsal and caudal are visible already. Those pics are already a few weeks old, so I guess it's time for a new picture session. Hold on guys!

MickeM

5 Year Member
Looked at this thread for the first time today(tonight!!)..
I almost posted a reply without reading your posting dates!!:oops:

This was my answer to be..

"It looks like the 2 first are males (blueish gill-covers) , the other 2 are probably females... My guess!!"

Conclusions... Males often have more colours on the gill-covers...
....and don`t try to do statements in the middle of the night when you are really tired!!:):)

Nice close-up pics.. especially the last female-pic in the first post!!!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cesarmora1

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….