• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Agassizi or Cacatoides?

Crazygar

5 Year Member
I purchased this Apisto at an LFS under the guise of A.cacatoides Female. Upon bringing "her" (I definately know its a Female) I realized that I might have purchased an A.agassizi female as opposed to an A.cacatoides female.

(1) My Male A.cacatoides is about 2.4" Long, this recent purchase is 2" long
(2) Face is rather "froglike" unlike A.cacatoides
(3) Male displays "flaring", "shimmying" but without serious lunges at her. He "tolerates" her presence almost
(4) Small patch of "Yellow" on her Gill Gover
(5) Eyes seem to be huge and set further up on her head

I've attached a picture to help someone ID this one properally! I sharpened the picture a little bit to help define some areas. Sorry about the overall quality!

Gary
IMGP0082.JPG

blueblue

5 Year Member
Hi Gary, may you please post a photo showing the
abdomenal region of the fish? It is difficult to say with the
current photo you posted...

a.d.wood

5 Year Member
Hi there,

With the abdominal stripes just visible in the first picture (2nd set of pictures) I think you can rule out the agassizii and bitaeniata possibilities, I would say it's in the cacatuoides group (as to whether it's cacatuoides, juruensis, black chin, etc though....).

Is she showing any black on the trailing ventrals yet??

Andrew

blueblue

5 Year Member
yes, it is a caca; it reminds me of the caca female fish that i acquired last year which also looked like a bita to me. i also posted it here and finally realized that it's a caca ^.^

Crazygar

5 Year Member
When I came home from work this evening, I noticed that her ventral fins are full black and she is flaring at her reflection in the glass! Also noticed that 90% of my fish and shrimp are at the other side of the tank, well away from her.

She allows my male into the area and thats it. Though I thought that A.cacatoides were Cave Brooders, this is obviously not the case in my tank where she has taken up the area which is densely planted with low growing Nomaphila stricta.

I have two large pieces of driftwood (one with at least 3 or 4 natural caves) for serving as nesting sites.

Gary

a.d.wood

5 Year Member
Hi Gary,

In my cacatuoides stock tank, I have at least 1 pair of wild caught fish who spawn in the one of the front corners of the tank against the glass, not even close to a piece of bog wood.

Andrew

Crazygar

5 Year Member
I finally managed a good shot! Though there has been some "interesting" recent developments;

(1) Her colour is now Yellow and Ventral fins are edged with deep black. This colour comes and goes but I take this as a good sign.
(2) Displaying from the Male continues but the "Female" shoos the Male away

And yes, finally a good photograph! Too bad all her yellow colouration does not appear, its a magnificent sight to behold!

Gary

IMGP0093.jpg

blueblue

5 Year Member
from my experience, apistos can spawn ANYWHERE they like:
Tank's corner, wall, wood, leaf, rock, even though most of them
do prefer to spawn inside a cave... :)

Crazygar

5 Year Member
Merci! I appriciate the ID. I was really sure that this was an A.agassizi female as they look really close in appearance to the ones that I see in the LFS's from time to time.

Thanks again!
Gary

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OzzynHarriet

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….