• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Advice on Tank Setup - 20 Gallon Long

fishguyutah

Hello,

I have a cycled 20 gallon long and recently added 1 M and 2 F Orange Flash Apistos. My goal is to create a natural environment that will allow them to breed. My PH is 7-7.5, GH is around 6, and Water temp is 78. I am using black diamond blasting sand for the substrate, a standard Aqueon fluorescent light, and have a couple of caves with java moss and driftwood.

I currently have the 3 apistos, 1 BN pleco and am looking to possibly add a vampire shrimp. Please let me know how I can improve the landscape and I am also open to low-tech plant recommendations. Thank you!

Attachments

• IMG_9893.jpg
    IMG_9893.jpg
    623.4 KB · Views: 1,210
  • IMG_9895.jpg
    IMG_9895.jpg
    703.3 KB · Views: 458
  • IMG_9896.jpg
    IMG_9896.jpg
    817.9 KB · Views: 430
  • IMG_9898.jpg
    IMG_9898.jpg
    794.2 KB · Views: 544

Drayden Farci

5 Year Member
Leaf litter is definitely the easiest thing you could add to create a more natural environment! Otherwise, more things like Anubias or swords would help add more hiding places. I would get a school of small tetras to act as dither fish - pencilfish usually make good cohabitants.

fishguyutah

Thanks for your reply and the tips. I bought some anubias and narrow leaf java fern. I will look for some pencilfish. Any ideas on the best place to buy pencils?

Drayden Farci

5 Year Member
Thanks for your reply and the tips. I bought some anubias and narrow leaf java fern. I will look for some pencilfish. Any ideas on the best place to buy pencils?
If you're looking to have them shipped, The Wet Spot has a great reputation and they currently have Dwarf Pencilfish from both Guyana and Peru, I believe. You could easily do 15-30 in your tank, I'd bet. Dwarf Pencils are great, but my favorite are the Barred Pencilfish (Nannostomus espei) and Brown Tailed Pencilfish (N. eques).

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
If you truly want to breed your apistos I'd recommend removing the pleco. The only bottom dwellers should be the apistos. I also think you'll be a bit more successful if you can lower the pH a bit.

fishguyutah

If you're looking to have them shipped, The Wet Spot has a great reputation and they currently have Dwarf Pencilfish from both Guyana and Peru, I believe. You could easily do 15-30 in your tank, I'd bet. Dwarf Pencils are great, but my favorite are the Barred Pencilfish (Nannostomus espei) and Brown Tailed Pencilfish (N. eques).

Thank you, I will look them up now!

fishguyutah

If you truly want to breed your apistos I'd recommend removing the pleco. The only bottom dwellers should be the apistos. I also think you'll be a bit more successful if you can lower the pH a bit.

I appreciate the info, Mike. I can definitely re-home the pleco. Also, any tips on lowering the PH?

fishguyutah

I added a couple of anubias and a java fern. More to come!

Attachments

• IMG_9902.jpg
    IMG_9902.jpg
    611.7 KB · Views: 575

Bart Hazes

I've just put up a facebook post on my first attempt to reduce pH with peat (or ADA Africana soil) in an RO water bin. I sure brings the pH down in the RO bin and am just starting to use it for water replaments. A 10% change in a 50 gallon tank dropped pH from 6.6 to 6.2. RO water bin is pH 4.8. I hope that over time all tanks will start to move towards the pH 5-6 range.

https://www.facebook.com/bart.hazes/posts/2045045692381567?pnref=story

I actually think my current experiment is to complicated. I may soon just dump the loose peat in the RO bin and stir it around. Then get rid of the peat by siphoning water through a foam sponge whenever I need water.

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
I actually think my current experiment is to complicated. I may soon just dump the loose peat in the RO bin and stir it around. Then get rid of the peat by siphoning water through a foam sponge whenever I need water.
I don't soften my water with peat at the moment, but when I did I used the <"peat in a cotton pillow-case"> method.

It needs to be <"sphagnum peat">.

cheers Darrel

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….