• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Adding a ram to my tank

Fryer

I've currently lost my female my ram was paired with she didn't look 100% she had a clamped tail and went on hunger strike. Was curious whether to buy a female ram I've seen some lovely German blue rams was curious whether to add one or not this is my male
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1405965911.957517.jpg

Here's him and his mrs (rip)

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1405965951.609671.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1405965951.609671.jpg

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
I wouldn't, because I'm not entirely sure it is a suitable tank for Rams, partially because you have a male cacatuoides aready and it looks a bit bare with lots of light and lines of sight. It is horses for courses, some people are great with bare tanks, but I know I'm not very good at water management, so I like lots of plants and structure, they just make tank management easier.

Also I'm not sure about the gravel, do you know what is it made out of? It looks a bit like limestone. Even if it is inert, I'm not a great pea gravel fan. I think sand is much better for dwarf cichlids, they can sift through it and any uneaten food etc sits on the top rather than falling into the interstices and potentially compromising water quality.

You may have seen these, but Bob Wiltshire (ApistoBob) wrote a really good series of web pages on dwarf cichlid care, which covers water, food, decor etc.
They are at <http://www.dwarfcichlid.com/Aquarium_care.php>.

cheers Darrel

Fryer

I do regular water changes min of 50 litres it's being changed in August I've got sand ready for my new tank it's planted at the back of the tank I hate gravel but the guy who's buying my tank off me said about leaving the gravel init

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….