• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

About female

efan

5 Year Member
Dear experts:
I want to know: A.mendezi female、A.sp."Miua" female and A. paucisquamis female,How to identify these three?

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
This is not always very easy see.

A. paucisquamis: Slender body; lateral spot horizontally oval and noticably wider than other 2 species; 1 abdominal stripe below lateral band; caudal fin with indistinct rows of spots.

A. mendezi: Deeper body; lateral spot small and roughly rectangular; at least 2 abdominal stripes below lateral band; caudal fin transparent.

A. sp. Miuá: Very slender body; lateral spot small and roughly circular; 1 abdominal stripe close (½ scale) to the lateral band; caudal fin transparent; ventral fins much shorter than on females of A. paucisquamis & A. mendezi.

efan

5 Year Member
Thank you, Mike.
I also want to know: A.Uaupesi female、A. pertensis female and A.iniridae female,Is it also difficult to distinguish between them?

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
These females are not as difficult.

A. uaupesi: lateral band continuous (no caudal spot) into the caudal fin; caudal fin crossed by distinct rows of spots; vertical abdominal bars below lateral band usually invisible or indistinct; 2 or more rows of spots on abdomin.

A. iniridae: lateral band continuous (no caudal spot) into the caudal fin; caudal fin crossed by indistinct rows of spots; vertical abdominal bars below lateral band usually distinct; no or very pale rows of spots on abdomin.

A. pertensis: lateral band ends in front of a distinct round to oval caudal spot at base of caudal fin; caudal fin with no or extremely pale markings; vertical bars almost always invisible; no abdominal rows of spots.

efan

5 Year Member
Very grateful.

Mike, I have seen you in the book——(Datz/South American Dwarf Cichlids),Once again thank you for your answers!

efan

5 Year Member
You really humorous! My children only 6 months,He is a bolder than I...Ha Ha...

Thank you for your help! Heartfelt!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hillberg

Latest profile posts

jloponte wrote on hongyj's profile.
Please send me info regarding cuipeua. Thx, Joe.
jloponte wrote on hongyj's profile.
Where are you located?
Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(