• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

A. Uaupesi? Took a chance...

Chilligan

Depending on your sourcewater's KH, you may experience problems at one point once the ion exchange properties start to lack. Try to exchange it for sand on the long run.

Thanks for the information. Our water is pretty soft out of the tap.

I'll grab some sand next time I come across it and swap them the future.

Apistomaster

5 Year Member
I've only had them for a week, but so far so good. LFS couldn't move them at retail so I got a very good deal, else I couldn't justify them over other pencilfish varieties.

As others report, they don't school but they're very active in the mid and upper levels. Very little aggression even amongst themselves. They do go after larger food than I was expecting given mouth size. Adult brine shrimp are taken.
I hope your red pencil fish prove me wrong but as much as I like pencil fish I find the red ones to be irascible. 10 or 12 in a 75 gallon tank is all I would consider trying and I don't think they are intimidated by most Apistogramma.
Best of luck. They are truly beautiful as are your Apistogramma.

anewbie

My lineta bred with coral red pencil fishes (n. morthenthaleri) without issues. The frys lasted about 3 weeks but i did not have the time to hatch bbs and eventually they vanished. They are rather scared of the a. lineta which helps - i do plan on hatch bbs if they breed again.

Speaking of eggs my a. winkelfleck finally laid eggs - not sure if they will hatch but i hope so as this is a nice fish.

Chilligan

Thank you both. The pencils became increasingly aggressive with one another and I lost several over a weekend while I was out of town. Those that remain seem to have found a balance, but I'm hesitant to buy replacements (and certainly no more rare / expensive variants).

Best of luck with your spawn!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zola23

Latest profile posts

jloponte wrote on hongyj's profile.
Please send me info regarding cuipeua. Thx, Joe.
jloponte wrote on hongyj's profile.
Where are you located?
Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(