• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

A. Uaupesi? Took a chance...

Chilligan

I took a chance with a few fish from a post shared earlier. Apologies for the film on the glass, I'm letting the snail sort that out on its own.

I'm wondering if it's possible at this point to more specifically ID these two, or if more time, better video/photos and clear glass are required.

I'll post more if I can get it.

Chilligan

The lyretail male also periodically gets a redness around his mouth similar to what I recall with a male iniridae, in case that helps. Just not quite as intense.

Chilligan

Thanks for your continued feedback. I'll happily go with A. blutkehl (though a new one for me). If I can get better quality photos I'll post them for interest sake if for nothing else.

Thank you again.

Chilligan

Thank you.
@Mike Wise I got a few stills... But they refuse to stop moving.

1000012906.jpg
1000012893.jpg
1000012892.jpg
1000012864.jpg

Chilligan

A few more with male displaying.

Attachments

• PXL_20240222_031127087.MP.jpg
    PXL_20240222_031127087.MP.jpg
    6.9 MB · Views: 43
  • PXL_20240222_031146784.jpg
    PXL_20240222_031146784.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 40
  • PXL_20240222_031205257.jpg
    PXL_20240222_031205257.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 42

Chilligan

Just a quick update. They're settling in nicely, and male and female are always near one another. She's turned an orange tone with reddish mouth, but not spawning colors (at least not like any other apisto I've kept). Occasional display between them. No fighting.

Thanks again to all in this forum for the assistance.

1000013235.jpg
1000013236.jpg
1000013237.jpg
1000013239.jpg

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
They're settling in nicely
He has coloured up beautifully.
Why the soil?
I'm guessing that it is an "active substrate", that will initially soften the water via ion exchange. They are / were popular with a lot SE Asian Apistogramma keepers, partially because (they claim) that they add fish colouration.

The other reason for using them as that they aid plant growth. I like plant growth but I've never personally been tempted to use anything other than fine sand.

cheers Darrel

MacZ

I'm guessing that it is an "active substrate", that will initially soften the water via ion exchange. They are / were popular with a lot SE Asian Apistogramma keepers, partially because (they claim) that they add fish colouration.
I know, I just wanted to know the reasoning of the OP.
The stuff is allright for planted scapes and for shrimp keeping, I just see no benefit in using it for Apistogramma or softwater tanks in general. Too many nutrients, becomes exhausted after 6 months or so... Will have to be replaced if used for the ion exchange properties...
And for plant growth... I see very few and very undemanding substrate based plants in the pictures and mainly epiphytes. Obviously the plants are not the reason.

Chilligan

Hi,

What is your experience with those pencilfish?
Considering getting some.
I've only had them for a week, but so far so good. LFS couldn't move them at retail so I got a very good deal, else I couldn't justify them over other pencilfish varieties.

As others report, they don't school but they're very active in the mid and upper levels. Very little aggression even amongst themselves. They do go after larger food than I was expecting given mouth size. Adult brine shrimp are taken.

Chilligan

Other question: Why the soil?
Fair question. My answer isn't a great one. I had a bunch of it left over and my LFS was out of sand so I just went ahead with what was on hand.

I do intend to add to the plant count in the back. Right now there are crypts, red Lotus and crinum.

MacZ

They do go after larger food than I was expecting given mouth size. Adult brine shrimp are taken.
I know that from my N. eques, white mosquito larvae are no problem for them.

Fair question. My answer isn't a great one. I had a bunch of it left over and my LFS was out of sand so I just went ahead with what was on hand.

I do intend to add to the plant count in the back. Right now there are crypts, red Lotus and crinum.
I see, I see. Just as a heads up: Depending on your sourcewater's KH, you may experience problems at one point once the ion exchange properties start to lack. Try to exchange it for sand on the long run.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grey58

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….