• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

A. sp. "Miuá"

Microman

5 Year Member
Looking at Roland and Mikes pictures and i see no copper colouration below the lateral band. I thought this was diagnostic for A.sp."Miua or is it not visible on all populations.
Mark...

Microman

5 Year Member
Hi Mark,

Do you maybe mix it up with A. paucisquamis?

Regards,
Rolo

No Roland,
Look at Koslowski pic in Datz(Upper Image), see the Copper colour between lateral band and abdominal band.
This i have always seen on A.sp.Miua. See pic on Toms site to see the population with copper colouration that i had back in 2008.

Mike, I understand that both Your fish and Rolos Fish are A.sp.Miua. Just wanted to know if some populations did not show this rather distinct colouration.

Mark...

Last edited:

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Yes, the book "Tropical Fish Collection 6: South American Dwarf Cichlid" edited by Minoru Matuzaka shows at least 2 different populations of Miuá. One shows the relatively broad copper band between the 2 lateral bands and no red on the face. The other is like mine, with a narrower white band and extensive red/orange on the face. This species is reported from several different streams around São Gabriel do Cachoeira, Brazil (Igarapé Miuá, Uambé, & Mabóm), so I imagine there might be population differences. Since we don't see both color morphs together in shipments, I guess that they are population differences more than intrapopulation polychromatism, like we see in populations of A. agassizii.

YuCheng

Can anyone help me check this one? I have this with another male about 6 weeks already. Thanks!

Attachments

• Photo Jun 16, 10 57 52 PM.jpg
    Photo Jun 16, 10 57 52 PM.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 564
  • Photo Jun 16, 10 58 33 PM.jpg
    Photo Jun 16, 10 58 33 PM.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 516

YuCheng

Sorry, but the photos are so out-0f-focus that I cannot say what sex (or even what species) they show.
Sorry, I will try my best to take better photo today. It's really hard to take the photo for this one since another larger male keep tracing this one.

YuCheng

Here are the photos for my pair of miua. I assume the 1&2 must be male, and the 3,4,5 should be female.

Photo%20Jul%2005%2C%209%2045%2013%20PM.jpg

Photo%20Jul%2005%2C%209%2045%2054%20PM.jpg

Photo%20Jul%2005%2C%209%2045%2030%20PM.jpg

Photo%20Jul%2005%2C%209%2046%2058%20PM.jpg

Photo%20Jul%2005%2C%209%2047%2048%20PM.jpg

DaRe

5 Year Member
Hi Mike,

That seems to be another local-/colourform with red cheeks and blue fins. Very beautiful.
My males are already 6-7cm, so they are adult and I don't think they will change colour when they become older.
And due to the fact, that all males from the current import look the same, I think it's not a case of polychromatism but different local forms.

best regards,
Rolo
Has any more information about these colorforms appeared since these posts?
Yellow form and red form? If they are connected to certain collection areas?

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
I don't know. Like most apistos from Brazil, only the native collectors know where the fish are collected - and they won't say where. Hobbyists aren't allowed to collect in Brazil for the most part so very little habitat data are available.

Perfect Biotics

This species is truly simple to sex, notwithstanding when youthful. Guys show exchanging dull and light stripes running parallel to the balance beams; the females demonstrate a pretty much patternless butt-centric. This is one of only a handful couple of animal groups on my list of things to get to get again and truly attempt to breed.

Perfect Biotics

The pH is around 5.5, the conductivity around 150µS. Temperature ist 26-27°C.

Yet, in my eyes the more essential thing is, that I cleaned the tank some time recently, so there are less microscopic organisms in it.

Best Respects

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….