• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

A. sp. "Maulbrüter"

cageman

5 Year Member
Male during feeding:
P1010986.jpg

P1010997.jpg

Female with eggs:
P1011002.jpg

peterK

5 Year Member
Hi cageman

Very nice pictures and Apistos, especially the female:wink:
I think this is one of my fav Apistos:biggrin:

Otherwise, do you think that I could keep 3 pairs of A. sp. Maulbrueter in my 1 meter long, 173 liter tank?

Greetings,
Piotr

cageman

5 Year Member
I have not tried 3 pairs in a one meter tank.
However, judging on the behaviour of the fish I have I would say it is not a specie that lends itself for keeping in groups.

In a month or so I will move them to my metertank.
I have two pairs. I will try to keep them both in the 100x50x30h/25"x12,5"x7,5" tank.

cageman

5 Year Member
Yes it is an absolutely popular specie.
I wasn't planning on keeping the species on short term.
I just gave three of my tanks away. After that (one day) I got a tip that they were imported in Holland:wink:
Since it was on my wishlist I did not doubted for a second since there are so many myths surrounding this species.

For those who can tell, what form is this? The yellow one?

peterK

5 Year Member
In a month or so I will move them to my metertank.
I have two pairs. I will try to keep them both in the 100x50x30h/25"x12,5"x7,5" tank.
Hmmm... My tank has a bit smaller bottom area (100 x ca.35cm)
So, I think the best for my tank will be two pairs or 1male+3 females.

What do you think?

Greetings,
Piotr

cageman

5 Year Member
I must say that I don't have much experience with this species in a community.
When I first introduced the pair to eachother it gave a lot of problems. Now the female has fry and will not tolerate the male anymore. The male is now in a separate tank. Maybe, when they have the space in my bigger tank, it will be possible to keep them as a pair or a trio. I find the females very agressive by the way.

So, maybe there are some members who can answer this question for you.

P1011015.jpg

P1011013.jpg

peterK

5 Year Member
Nice shot, Greg PL ^.^
How big is your tank? Do you have a pair or more specimens?

Greetings,
Piotrek

cageman

5 Year Member
P1011059.jpg

Doing her thing. She was not constantly mouthbrooding. Although more than I'm used to with Dwarfs.
Now she is directing her first batch of fry through the tank.

Greg PL

5 Year Member
I have them in a community tank with loads of other dwarfs. the male is quite active in brood care. he swims close to the female (the only fish allowed to go that close). and harasses the odd male, and all other cichlids just enough to keep them away. the female kept her mouth shut for 3 days, now she spits the fry to a hiding place to grab some food and then rushes back to pick them up.
couldn't get a picture of the small guys yet.

cageman

5 Year Member
Here you can see the small babies in the hideout the mother has made.
I must say that the mouthbrooding behaviour in my tank was not so intensive as you describe it. It propably has to do with the amount of possible enimies.
P1011025.jpg

Greg PL

5 Year Member
one of my colleagues has 1 month old fry. he didnot confirm the male's engagement in the brood care either. he kept a trio without dither fish and had to remove the odd pair leaving only the female with youngsters to succeed.

I assume that the female would recognize if the male was in "consumption mode" towards the fry. that's why I think he helps protecting them.

Roach

5 Year Member
I've heard that A. maulbruter likes to dig a lot and therefore a sand substrate is suggested but these photos are using just fine gravel. It obviously hasn't affected their ability to spawn but do you find they dig around a bit????

cageman

5 Year Member
It is quite rough sand that I have. I am aware of that. Although they 'play' a lot with it. Sometimes it looks a bit like a Geophagus tank:redface:
I guess this sand is 'on the edge' of the acceptable.
When this nest is ready to be separated I will give the couple finer sand.

Greg PL

5 Year Member
they dig a lot, but don't make deep holes. mine have 3-5 mm of sand/fine gravel and don't get to the glass.

here are my small guys... if you manage to see them :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RodsAquatics

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….