• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

A.sp.llanero & A.sp.assuruni

HaakonH

5 Year Member
I just skimmed through the latest stocklist from a large German importer and saw a couple of names I haven't encountered before; A.sp.llanero and A.sp.assuruni. Both are listed as new species. Naturally I'm curious about what hides behind these names, so does anybody here know?

Haakon

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
"What's in a name? That which we call a rose by any other name would smell as sweet." (Wm. Shakespear's play "Romeo and Juliet").:wink:

These are commercial names without any location or photographic references. They could be anything. I discussed the 'Asuruni' fish with Rollo recently. He wrote that the Asuruni is a native tribe in the Rio Xingu region, so maybe the fish are from the Rio Xingu, too. I guess that, if you really want to find out what the fish truly are, you'll have to pay €24,90 each (~$32) and take your chances.

HaakonH

5 Year Member
The importer was kind enough to send me some pictures, along with some thoughts about them. A.sp.llaneros seems to be very close to A.sp.pebas and similar species, really beautiful. A.sp.assurini is according to the importer possibly a member of the cacatuoides group. I must admit the pics of this sp. are so poor that I can hardly make out what they look similar to...and the individuals seem to be fairly thin and small as well - not making it any easier. Some individuals seem to have lines or dots along the sides, somewhat like A.tucurui. can't say they look much like cacatuoides or closely related species, but like I mentioned the pics are poor and better ones are needed for ID :)

Haakon

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Interesting, but without seeing photos the descriptions are not very helpful. Since the photos aren't yours, I wouldn't post them without the importer's permission.

M.J

AP.sp.Assuruni

the below rink has A.sp.Assuruni picture I have.
the species was exported from German resecntly as the name of A.sp.Assuruni.
As you can see the picture, it is very similiar to A.sp.Vielfleck. by the hand, its body color pattern is little bit different from vielfleck.
I guess it is one of the species that can be related to vielfleck or sp.Xingu.
I tried to search its information but didn't find it.
I also want to know more information about that.

http://cafe.naver.com/apisto/14313

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Thanks for the link, M.J. The fish in the photo look like the 'Vielfleck' population of A. sp. Xingu: more spotting on body and head than the 'Xingu' population; more spots on the flanks than the 'sp. aff. Peixoto' populations. This species occurs in the Rio Xingu system, as does the Assuruni tribe, so it makes some sense.

M.J

Thanks for the link, M.J. The fish in the photo look like the 'Vielfleck' population of A. sp. Xingu: more spotting on body and head than the 'Xingu' population; more spots on the flanks than the 'sp. aff. Peixoto' populations. This species occurs in the Rio Xingu system, as does the Assuruni tribe, so it makes some sense.

Thanks for explanation Mike. I am not sure that the exact difference between
"Vielfleck". you said "Assuruni" is the name of rio xingu tribe. so do you mean
this species maybe Vielfleck ? or other species ? can we call it as vielfleck or
aff. Vielfleck ?

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
I think I misspelled the tribe's name. It should be Assurini. The commercial name also seems to be a misspelling of the name. Now for the fish.

A. sp. Xingu has come into the hobby in various populations/color variants. The original A. sp. Xingu (Red-lobes) shows almost not spots/blotches on the head or body. A. sp. Xingu (sp. aff. Peixoto [I really hate this name!:mad:]) shows only a few small spot on the flanks and a red-orange stripe in the anterior half of the dorsal fin. A. sp. Xingu (Samaúma) shows a few more spots on the flanks and spots on the head, which is yellow-gold in color, and a pale red-orange stripe in the front 1/3 of the dorsal fin. This species was sold commercially in Asia as A. sp. Gold Nugget. Finally there is the population introduced as A. sp. Vielfleck/Multispot. This is only a population of A. sp. Xingu. It has been sold commercially under many names: A. sp. Amapá Guttata, A. sp. Brazil Guttata, and A. sp. Pinapple (not to be confused with A. sp. Abacaixis, which in Portuguese means Pineapple :wink:). This population of A. sp. Xingu has the most spots on the head and flanks. The red-orange stripe extends over the front 3/4 of the dorsal fin. This is the population to which A. sp. Assuruni is most similar. If you want to call it anything other than 'A. sp. Assuruni', the most accurate name would be 'A. sp. Xingu (Vielfleck - Assuruni). Aren't commercial names fun:confused::biggrin:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….