• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

A. pebas? Bought as rotpunkt

mcintosh

5 Year Member
So what do you guys think? They came from the Atlanta club as "rotpunkt" however I don't see that. My guess is pebas/algodon II.
IMG_20140313_135608_315.jpg
IMG_20140313_140030_963.jpg

MickeM

5 Year Member
Hi mcintosh + all..

To me ..the Apisto name "Rotpunkt" is concerning Ap. alacrina, since my Apisto years in the late 80`s... (red dots on the body)
These doesn`t look like "my" "Rotpunkt" did then..

The male looks very short and high in the body shape/form.. almost like Ap. hoignei/hongsloi ..??

My best guess is Apistogramma paulmuelleri /spec. "Masken"/ spec. "Carapintada"("with painted face" in spanish!!??)
But I think/recall that they usually have got bars more visual on their bodies...(But that may differ from situation to situation..)

I really don`t think it`s Pebas or "Algodon II"..

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
I will agree with MickeM, most likely A. paulmuelleri, very old and very obese. Photos of the fish in fright/stress would help me be certain. Whatever species it is, it is not A. cf. alacrina (Rotpunct), a species/form different from the holotype and paratype forms of A. alacrina.

mcintosh

5 Year Member
Thank you both. I will try to get a stress picture. The fish themselves are approximately a year old and the male photo is at an angle. I need to separate the two as they are very combative.
Thank you both again, that will help me quite a bit.

MickeM

5 Year Member
Aha...Yes Mike, ..forgot about the cf. !! Loooong time since I last had them in my tanks...
Nice fishes...really bright yellowish females!!!:)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
meghanbe

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….