• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

A. Mendezi & A. Sp Miua

dspe

5 Year Member
Hi,

I ve a pair of this species but they don t want to reproduce.. I ve added leaf oak, add more roots, decrease ph, gh and kh.. this is the same result.. The two pair are in specific tank.
I ve someone have already reproduce this species, could you give me tank settings? or some informations or tips for this fishes?

Dspe

jose_vogel

5 Year Member
I never had those fish, but I can tell you what I do when trying to breed a difficult Apisto.

1) Reduce in 7 days the water level up to 4 inches (10 cm).
2) In those 7 days feed a little
3) In those 7 days increase the water temperature up to 82º F (28º C)

4) Fill the tank again with soft water and lower the temperature of the tank up to 78º F (26º C)
5) Feed with live food and twice or more a day.

Those are my tricks.

Besides, I can tell you that Koslowski book says that the reproduction of A. sp. Miuá occurs in very acid and soft water (PH: 4) and the reproduction of A. mendezi takes place with this parameters: PH from 4.2 to 5.5, Cond: up to 80 ms and temperature between 73º / 80º (23º to 27º).

Good luck

blueblue

5 Year Member
I bred both species many times... hmm, the setting is quite simple:

1. Substrate: ADA aqua-soil (African).
2. Tank's volume: About 25-40 liters per pair.
3. The use of peat moss can trigger their spawning.
4. Feeding: If you want to see quick result, well-feed the female with cooked sea-shrimp (very tiny pieces) for a week... and you will see courting and spawning very soon.
5. For the development of eggs and increasing yield, water should be
acidic (pH around 5) and very soft.
6. If you have tried the above and still fail, you may consider treating the fish with internal parasite medicine; adding some reputable vitamin enhanced food
can also help.

Hope the above help :)

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hillberg

Latest profile posts

jloponte wrote on hongyj's profile.
Please send me info regarding cuipeua. Thx, Joe.
jloponte wrote on hongyj's profile.
Where are you located?
Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(