• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

A. melgar / nanay ?

Noddy65

5 Year Member
Hi everyone
These were purchased as A. melgar (?) but Im hopefull they will be 'nanay'. Any ideas from these pics.
Im not sure about sexes either, all the fish have a black edge to the pelvic fins.

melgar1.jpg

melgar2.jpg

melgar3.jpg

melgar4.jpg

Thanks in advance

Mike Miller

DH247

5 Year Member
They look very similar to the female I have of Melgar, down to the hint of blue on the anal fin. But I am no expert. I'm sure a few of the of the indivisduals who are far more qualified will be able to give you a firmer ID. If they do end up being Melgar and you don't want them I would be very interested in taking some off your hands! :wink:

And I do believe they are all females. Especially as the male Melgars have much longer pelvic fins and do not have that strong of a yellow colouration.

Noddy65

5 Year Member
Thanks for the reply. I am feeling that they are all girls as well.
Its a hassle as I has to fly these 4 fish 4000 km to get to me, so i hope theyre all arent girls.

I would send them to you but your are even further away. :)

Mike Miller

DH247

5 Year Member
Yeah, I just realized ya kinda are! It's all to easy to forget that sometimes with the internet :biggrin:. Well I hope you have better luck finding Melgar's than I've had! I'm still trying to find a couple more females and another male to complement the pair I have! Cheers,

Cam

DH247

5 Year Member
Sure!

The female:
female4.jpg

The male:
male.JPG

They aren't the greatest pics but my male is super shy and bolts any time he sees the camera. At a closer look I have also noticed on your pics that some of your females have a bit of iridescent red in their dorsal fins. Mine does not have this colouration. I dunno. I don't know enough to make an informed comment!! :confused:. Sorry I can't be more help!

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
I hate the name A. sp. Nanay. There are 2 very different fish with this name.

Cam's fish are definitely A. sp. Nanay/Melgar - not A. sp. Nanay/Römer, which is usually called A. sp. Papagei.

I am not positive about Mikes "A. sp. Melgar/Nanay", but they seem to have the caudal patch that is seen on A. sp. Papagei (= A. sp. Nanay/Römer). There might be 2 males in the photos, but they are the less colorful form (A 92).

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cesarmora1

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….