• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

A. macmasteri wild vs. aq. hybrid ID and care

tjd

5 Year Member
What are some of the traits that would be used to differentiate a wild type A. macmasteri from the aquarium hybrids? To my untrained eye I cannot see the differences between the pictures being posted and IDed on the forum as the hybrid and those depicted in Cichlid Atlas I as A. macmasteri.

Secondly, how does the care for the aquarium macmasteri hybrid differ from the wild types? I have found that some of the aquarium strains of A. agassizii, A. cacatuoides, and M. ramirezi tend to be more tolerant of water parems, less aggressive, and seemingly less sucieptible to disease then their wild type counterparts. Is this also true for the macmasteri hybrids?

I picked up some A. macmasteri Red Mask anticiapting that they were an aquarium strain but I am curious about their optimum care as well as how to describe/differentiate them to receipients as the fry mature. While researching, I noticed not all the species that are part of this hybrid share the same care requirements.

Thanks,
Tom

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
First of all, I am discussing A. macmasteri, not what often is sold as A. viejita II. Most wild caught A. macmasteri are less colorful than domestic forms that have been bred for increased color and fin length. There are some colorful wild Red Shoulder/Rotrücken macmasteri, but they rarely have the amount of red seen on domestics. Some wild macs have no red at all. Most of the photos in Uwe's atlas, by the way, are of domestic forms.

A. macmasteri is a fairly robust species and being oportunistic polygamous, males can aggressively defend large territories. This probably doesn't change with domestic fish. It is fairly tolerant about water conditions, so whether wild or domestic, they should do about the same in slightly acid, moderately soft water. They will even live & sometimes breed neutral, moderately hard, water but don't expect the large broods produced in more optimal conditions. Wild specimens will develop bacterial skin conditions more often than domestic specimens if the water is too far out of reasonable conditions.

tjd

5 Year Member
Thanks Mike for the clarification. So, some of the other pictures that I have found showing A. macmasteri without nearly as much red are more representative of the wild A. macmasteri.

Also, am I correct in understanding that there are both domestic strains that may be pure A. macmasteri blood, but selectively bred similar to some of the domestic agassizii and cacatuoides in addition to the hybrids?

Thanks,
Tom

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Thanks Mike for the clarification. So, some of the other pictures that I have found showing A. macmasteri without nearly as much red are more representative of the wild A. macmasteri.

Without seeing the photos, I can't say for certain. Look in books & magazines for photos that list the fish as wild caught. Anything with red in the tips of the dorsal fin are either color enhanced or of mixed parentage.

Also, am I correct in understanding that there are both domestic strains that may be pure A. macmasteri blood, but selectively bred similar to some of the domestic agassizii and cacatuoides in addition to the hybrids?
Yes, this is correct. It is often impossible to determine the heritage of these fish, however.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….