• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

A. 'breitbinden' TR

MickeM

5 Year Member
Awesome fish + pics !!

My guess on pic 2-4 :
The yellow color in combination with the short dorsal spines (1-6) + short pelvic fins indicates that it might be a female..
, and "she" also differ from the male in the red(dorsal) + yellow(body) colors + a more abrupt ending of the dorsal fin..
And the caudal fin show no visable divided coloration like on the male .. (transparent/yellow)
If it is a female, she sure is more colorful than any similar female I´ve seen before.. (gills + dorsal fin)

Please take some more pics of these fish... they will probably be absolutely stunning !!!

Ekona

5 Year Member
Awesome fish + pics !!

My guess on pic 2-4 :
The yellow color in combination with the short dorsal spines (1-6) + short pelvic fins indicates that it might be a female..
, and "she" also differ from the male in the red(dorsal) + yellow(body) colors + a more abrupt ending of the dorsal fin..
And the caudal fin show no visable divided coloration like on the male .. (transparent/yellow)
If it is a female, she sure is more colorful than any similar female I´ve seen before.. (gills + dorsal fin)
Thanks, Micke. Your observations are exactly the way I see it ,as well, yet since I've not kept this species before, I just was not sure. Even though the "female" is smaller than the male (but not drastically so) I would be surprised if it would develop all of the characteristics of the larger male from what is shows now. I'll definitely let them grow out and post more photos.

Ekona

5 Year Member
Got a few photos of this pair (almost 100% certain now).
Pair with male in display

Pair at rest

Female in full display with extended dorsal fin rays.

Female showing extended dorsal fin rays

Female showing overlapping dorsal fin rays (at rest)

Attachments

Ekona

5 Year Member
Pair in courtship display. Notice the male's fins are not fully extended but rather folded downward during his shimmy-shake dance. Female showing brood-care behavior and coloration. I expect fry any day now.

Attachments