• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

A. borellii sub-dominant male vs. female morphology

Lutefisk

Can sub-dominant males also have black on the first ray of their pectoral and dorsal fins? A few of the web resources I've found seem to use that to distinguish females and sneaker males, but I have a borellii I suspect is male with the black coloration.

(S)/he has gotten markedly larger and more blue-and-yellow since coming home, though not as colored up or large as my dominant male. His/her anal and dorsal fins also don't extend as far back as the big male's.

So far, I've been unsuccessful at getting useful finnage pictures. Are there any other characters I should look for to differentiate females and submissive males in this species? Thanks!

gerald

5 Year Member
Yes they can. Somebody here recently posted photos of an Apisto pair with fry (i forget what species) where BOTH parents had dark front rays on the pelvic fins. Head shape, belly shape, and fin length are the other characteristics I would look at.

Lutefisk

Can you point me to a thread with that information for A. borellii, or is it more or less the same across species? I'm new to keeping apistos.

On a related note, if this is a subdominant male, I think he has the potential to be prettier than my current dominant--he has more irridescent blue flecks on his face, anyway. Would he color up better if I removed him to a tank by himself, or if I removed the current big guy, and left the little one with the third, who still looks female to me?

ErtyJr

My Male winkelfleck, it isn't borelli, but he has black in his pelvic exactly as a female would. They have had 3 batches of fry, and all my fry males and females have black in the pelvic fins as well.

Black in the pelvic fins is a good indicator to use, but it isn't the end all of sexing apistos. You need to look at the finnage of the fish, as well as overall behavior. There are lots of things to consider and you have to look at everyone of them and sort of make a check list, and see which side the fish ends up falling on lol. I'll try to upload a picture of my male to show the black in pelvic later. My phone doesn't have enough signal atm to upload it.

And yes if you separate the two fish and it is a male, it will begin to color up much m ore and the sex will become obvious.

ErtyJr

My male winkelfleck

Attachments

• 20150729_183045.jpg
    20150729_183045.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 341

Lutefisk

Beautiful fish, ErtyJr! Thanks for the advice. I did put the suspected male in another tank, and he's coloring up well.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….