• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

A Baenschi & water temp

paul_fox

5 Year Member
Could some one tell me if A Baenschi can cope with 29°c/84F please?
Or what species of Apistos I could put in at that temp? (Discus tank)

My other choices are Hongsloi, Eremnopyge or Cacatuoides
Thanks

Greg PL

5 Year Member
M. ramirezi encounter similar temperatures in their natural habitat. A. hoignei are said to be found simpathricaly with them. not sure if it's a standard temp. for the whole year.

I always wondered why would discus need so high temperatures in aquarium? they live in deeper waters than apistos in forest-shaded (at least partialy) streams, where temperatures should rather be in 23-27C range through the year or perhaps a bit lower.

paul_fox

5 Year Member
Thanks, I know blue rams and bolivians would be ok as I have had both, I was just looking for something a little different this time

aspen

5 Year Member
i have seen various pics across the net with discus keepers with apisto species in their disus tanks. usually these are aggi's, cacs or macmasteri. hongsloi are from venezuela and columbia, so i would presume they could handle the higher temps.

ime apistos and discus are both susseptible to intestinal flagellates. i would consider it a must to run a course of met in all species of fish before introducing them to a community tank with discus, including esp the discus. i use medicated flake on all new fish. it has been my exp that using met beforehand is a lot better than trying to fix this problem before a disease happens than after.

rick

paul_fox

5 Year Member
Yes, I will have them in QT for a few weeks to start with and med them before adding them. I will have a look at the aspistos you mented, thanks.
As for the heat of the water Greg, I really don't know why they say to have it so high

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
A. baenschi comes from upland jungle streams that never get above 80ºF/26ºC. When not being bred, they do best at 74-77ºF/24-25ºC. They will survive in warmer water, but expect them to age very rapidly. The savanna apistos, like A. hoignei & A. hongsloi will be better adapted to these temperatures.

aspen

5 Year Member
and also as an fyi, lemon tetras are quite sturdy and are also from the warmer climes and occurr with blue rams and hongsloi. they become quite atractive when kept properly and breed easily ime.

rick

blueblue

5 Year Member
Hi Paul: For your original question, my answer is "yes"; i have kept and have bred Inka50 in tanks with a temperature ranging from 25C - 32C. I do not see any problems.

Moreover, just for your reference, in some quarantine process, we need to
raise the water temperature to 30C-31C and keep the apistos for a week or two. So far, i haven't found any problem with it. :)

paul_fox

5 Year Member
Thanks, next question is has anyone ever kept Tahuantinsuyoa Macantzatza (Inca Stone fish)? thats the other choice, but I couldn't much information on them. I assume A. Eremnopyge will be ok? temp seemed ok on fishbase anyway

paul_fox

5 Year Member
I got some red/gold Honglsoi off Microman after your advice Mike, thanks for the replies guys:)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….