1. Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

5.5 gal Apisto tank mates

Discussion in 'South American Tank Mates' started by BraedonB, May 28, 2019.

1. BraedonB

BraedonB New Member

I have a 5.5 gallon tank with one 2" Apisto Regani. The tank is lightly planted and filtered with a sponge filter. I change 30-40% of the water per week. Would the tank be overstocked with a school of six neon tetras (which I already have) or black neon tetras? Could I even add a small, slow catfish like a kuhli loach instead/in addition? Other options for acceptable tank mates are greatly appreciated. Thanks!
  2. Drayden Farci

Drayden Farci Active Member

The tank is overstocked with two Apistogramma in my opinion.
  3. Mike Wise

Mike Wise Moderator Staff Member 5 Year Member

I agree. Next question: where did you get A. regani? I can't remember it ever coming into the hobby commercially.
  4. mantisfan101

mantisfan101 New Member

A 2” fish in a 5.5 gallon is already really pushing it; I’d move it to a 20 gallon.
  5. BraedonB

BraedonB New Member

Thank you for your responses. The single Apisto is the only fish in the tank. The fish was labeled A. Regani, but who knows what species he actually is. I posted a thread a few months ago asking if anyone could ID him, but he was still a juvenile. I could move him to a 10 or 29 gallon tank if needed, but he seems to be doing quite well alone in the 5.5 (but of course I could be mistaken). Sorry the photos are not great quality. ApistogrammaRegani7.JPG ApistogrammaRegani8.jpg
  6. Mike Wise

Mike Wise Moderator Staff Member 5 Year Member

One apisto in a 5.5 gal. tank is fine. Drayden & I both misread your post. We thought you had 2 apistos. Now, could you add 6 Neons to the tank? Yes, but it would tax any filtration system so careful management of water quality and not over-feeding would be important. BTW your apisto is not A. regani. The caudal spot is all wrong. I can't say for sure which species it is from the photo, but it's probably a eunotus-complex species.
  7. BraedonB

BraedonB New Member

Alright, thanks!