• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

3ft Cichlid Tank

BluePlanetGirl

I just bought a 3ft long 160L fish tank!!!! I want to put some cichlids in it!!!
But how many can I put in???? And what type?

I REEEEALLY want, some German Rams, Bolivian Butterflys, Steel Blues and Double Reds.
But would any of them co-exist if I give plenty of hiding space, plants and space for territories????

As for Cycling the tanks Is there anything I need to do differently for cichlids???
Thanks in advance!!!

Hmoobthor

42 gallon...

you don't want to keep too much rams...they will always fight all the time.... go with one type of ram each and trio of double red (or two males will work)

provide driftwood and plants...and caves

Apistomaster

5 Year Member
I don't think Ramerzi do as well when kept with Bolivian Rams. It is best to keep one pair of Ramerezi as the only dwarf Cichlid in a tank.
I know it is possible to keep a pair or trio of Apistogramma species but I generally avoid combining the different Apistogramma too. I think Dicrossus filamentosus make the best choice in the way of another dwarf Cichlid tank mates for Rams. They prefer slightly different types of habitats than the Rams.
Rams being more bottom oriented while the Dicrossus utilize the lower 1/4 or so of a well planted tank. This reduces potential territorial disputes.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cesarmora1

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….