• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Search results

  1. P

    Finding bitaeniata female when male locality is kind of unknown

    This does make sense. Doesn't make it better, but makes sense at least.
  2. P

    Finding bitaeniata female when male locality is kind of unknown

    Yes, they were wc. I believe only german rams and cacatuoides were regularly available as domestic strains back then. But again, I was a teen then, so I might be wrong. Unfortunately, what you are saying makes sense. It seems that fish behaviour is less important than I remember it being in...
  3. P

    Finding bitaeniata female when male locality is kind of unknown

    Yes, that's what I meant to say with a wink. You know what really annoys me? For every fish species I asked for a male only, I was told that they only sell pairs, even if there weren't any females left in the tank. This is really not understandable to me. Even some (hobbyist-)breeders told me...
  4. P

    Finding bitaeniata female when male locality is kind of unknown

    For real? In my area in Germany, near Dortmund, I really have problems finding "real" females. Of course, you can get trios at some of the shops, but if I take a closer look at the tanks, I get the impression that someone else must have bought a lot of those before me ;)
  5. P

    Finding bitaeniata female when male locality is kind of unknown

    Thank you all very much for your replies and for taking the time to explain this in such detail. This was very helpful for me, because it made the whole topic much clearer: on the one hand there is the biological/genetic side, and on the other hand the ethical and conservation-related side of...
  6. P

    Finding bitaeniata female when male locality is kind of unknown

    Thank you for that, I really appreciate it. To be honest, I’m actually coping with the situation fairly well at the moment. What really frustrates me more is how difficult it is in general to find females in the first place. And that is despite the fact that you often cannot even buy single...
  7. P

    Finding bitaeniata female when male locality is kind of unknown

    This is true, unfortunately.
  8. P

    Finding bitaeniata female when male locality is kind of unknown

    Okay, that is kind of sad. I will have alook into the link. Thanks a lot!
  9. P

    Finding bitaeniata female when male locality is kind of unknown

    I think I get your point and I absolutely agree with you, Mac. In any case, even though I am interested in knowing the collection locality of my fish, it does not really help me at this point. The breeder I got the bitaeniata from told me: “They are F1; their parents were wild-caught fish, but...
  10. P

    Finding bitaeniata female when male locality is kind of unknown

    Thanks a lot! I saw that list on Tom's website. To be honest, I'm not planning to get a female for my male bitaenita. Someone asked me if I wanted to buy his. I declined, but it made me think about the topic, and since I didn't really know much about it, I thought I could ask you guys. :)...
  11. P

    Finding bitaeniata female when male locality is kind of unknown

    Hi all, I have a question about *Apistogramma bitaeniata* locality forms. The breeder told me that my male is a “Peru Blue”, but he does not know the exact collection locality. Because of that, I am unsure how to judge this fish in terms of breeding. What I mainly want to understand is this...
  12. P

    Apisto Baenschi?

    I certainly do not have Frank’s level of experience, so I will only answer your second question. In my experience, Ap. baenschi shows the vertical bars at a fairly young age, so I would expect them to have been visible in your photos. Do not get me wrong — I am only guessing their size from the...
  13. P

    Musa leaves in the Aquarium

    Thank you! Then I will dry them further.
  14. P

    Musa leaves in the Aquarium

    Thank you both.
  15. P

    Musa leaves in the Aquarium

    Hi fellow aquarists, I hope you are doing well. I just had an idea and wanted to ask whether you think it would be safe. I have a Musa basjoo plant in my bedroom. It is an offspring of another offspring from a plant I originally bought about four years ago. Sometimes the older leaves dry out...
  16. P

    Tucanoichthys tucano viable option as tankmate for Apistogramma D12?

    Thank you so much for this information. I guess the tucano tetra won't be the tetra in my tank :)
  17. P

    Tucanoichthys tucano viable option as tankmate for Apistogramma D12?

    Okay, I will check these out. My tank, where I inted putting them in is 240 litres, so roundabout 63 us gallons. Anyways, I like the idea of "small fish in a (relatively) big aquarium", so therefore I am mostly looking for the so called nano-fish. Well, it depends a bit on the individual...
  18. P

    Tucanoichthys tucano viable option as tankmate for Apistogramma D12?

    Yes, I was considering breeding these fish, since they are pretty rare, but I would not do that in the display tank. I have another 60l tank in mind for having them breed, and then take the male out to the display. If I even get a pair. Regarding the p. simulans: Do you know if this...
  19. P

    Tucanoichthys tucano viable option as tankmate for Apistogramma D12?

    Thanks so much for such a detailed answer. I guess that, even though I really like the tucanos and have never kept them before, I will go with an alternative. I think Paracheirodon simulans would look nice in that dark water, or perhaps even Nannostomus eques and/or a small group of Nannostomus...
  20. P

    Apistogramma rositae

    My A. baenschi did show the same behaviour. Well, close, not biting, but less shy females, swimming directly towards my hand while the male was hiding the moment the lid opened.
Top