• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Blue apistogramma cacatuoides?

Bmize89

So today i picked up 3 "blue apistogramma cacatuoides". So my question is, is this an actual species? Never heard of the blue variety but decided to pick a few up and put them in my 56g column. Tankmates are 17 Runny nose tetra, 3 skunk botia, and 3 BN pleco. PH is at 6.8, planted, pressurized co2, and lots of driftwood. So there are all kinds of natural caves. I've kept various species of apisto's but has anyone heard of this variety? If so any special care? I'll try and get some pics for you guys
2cfe1bd728172279c826d516a82aa668.jpg
b338a9708d35596705977fae3ba94d0f.jpg
d2ef3b24ea4c5b611ddad89de47a536b.jpg

Bmize89

Hmmm steel blue huh? From what I'm reading on them is this seems to be a hybrid species and is somewhat looked down upon. So has anyone kept these guys? Any special care?

Saffa

5 Year Member
They're probably the easiest Apistogramma on the market. We used to get them here in South Africa, but they were labeled as A. borelli. Sadly.

Easy to breed, but in my experience the males do not like any competition with other males. They can be quite vicious towards one another.

Bmize89

Yea I've kept triple reds before and didn't think there were any type of cacs but then again they are quite young...

Bmize89

Yea I bought 3 of them hoping for a m:f ratio of 1:2 but they all looked the same and after further research either they are all males or very hard to tell the difference but we'll just see in time. All 3 seem to be doing well especially in this tank. I've had these 17 Runny nose in here for almost a year 7 of those months they were by themselves and they have takin over the dominant role of this tank. I had 2 large angels in here for 3 weeks before I had to pull them cause the Runny nose would swarm them and nip there fins all day. But with the skunk botias, and these apisto's this tank is easily a semi aggressive tank and works well

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AND

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….