• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

ID please

Boupette

5 Year Member
I had those guys 3 days ago. They come from Thailland and then thru Montréal and then in Québec City where I am. Suppose to be A. panduro. It's not the first time that I have panduros, I bred them many years. But this time I'm really not sure about them. Are they really panduros? I never saw their real colors yet, they're kind of pale, bleached, uncolored. I never ever had panduros that looks like them, their tail is not even red or reddish... Are they sick, shy, affraid or are they some nijnessi or something else in the genes??? They eat, they look at me without running away and then woups they're gone in the plants, almost black... Poor little poo! Tell me what you think.

Thanks!

gerald

5 Year Member
I dont know if they're "pure" panduro but they look like healthy happy fish to me. Maybe they were raised in a bare-bottom or light-bottom tank and haven't developed much pigment because of their previous tank surroundings. Their colors will gradually increase if you keep them on a dark-color bottom and dark sides & background on the tank. Also add more wood and caves.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Probably A. panduro from the little detail I can see in the video. It could be that we are seeing the results of poor quality control from commercial mass breeding. Anyone remember the 'A. reitzigi' (A. borellii) of the 60s & 70s? They were so inbred that there was little color other than some yellow.

rr16

5 Year Member
Nice fish. At least your male shows interest! My male A. panduro just chases the female away!

rr16

5 Year Member
Good luck. I think my A. agassizi have just spawned but not sure as if they have it's inside a hollowed out piece of bogwood (which is why I picked that piece anyway!).

rr16

5 Year Member
What leaves are those that you use in your tank? I use oak and beech and know they're OK. Have used some leaves fallen from my dracaena/cordyline too. Obviously, being on different continents, I may not be able to get the leaves you have but I like the shape. Are they some kind of maple? Also, did you ever have any luck with breeding these? I have a panduros pair, but whilst the female is definitely panduro and keeps appearing to want to breed, I think the male is actually nijsseni. Not quite sure what I'll do as I'm struggling for room to put apistos, but may be able to get a male panduro or female nijsseni.

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
"I may not be able to get the leaves you have but I like the shape. Are they some kind of maple?"

Acer saccharinum (
where the Maple Syrup come from), has a leaf that shape, but I think they may be a Red Oak of some kind.

Northern Red Oak Quercus rubra would be my guess, as that would be native to the Quebec area. Quercus rubra has been planted a bit for forestry in the UK, but it needs an acid soil to do well.

cheers Darrel

rr16

5 Year Member
Cheers! The leaf looks a bit elongated for the maple (as you say, may not be that!), but I'm just going off the Canadian flag! Botany isn't my strong point!

Boupette

5 Year Member
It is oak leaves from here in Québec, Canada. They revealed to be real panduro by the time. I did raised A. panduro for years from F0 to F3. But those were F138?? and I had to sell them cos the female ate the eggs everytime she spawned and I gave the chance to another aquarist. I will get another F0 pair one of these days!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AND

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….