• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Apistogramma Atahulpa

Benjamin Goh

Hi guys. Im new to the site and to Apistos. I got a pair of Apistogramma Atahulpa Sunset "Rio Itaya" yesterday. What I realised is the female is extremely aggressive to the male, and I thought it could only happen the other way round. Hahaha. Any ideas to reduce the aggression, in hope of them breeding one day? I added cardinals today as dither, hopefully reducing the aggression.

Anyway, do you guys have any adult pictures of them? Would love to know what they will be like when they grow. They are currently 1.25"(?) thereabout, colours isn't out yet.

Thanks a lot.

Regards,
Benjamin

Amazoniensis

My A. atahualpa from Rio itaya....

111207011212473594.jpg

Benjamin Goh

Thanks for the pictures and the links, guys!

Mine is still quite abit from its full glory.

May I ask if it is normal for the female to show aggression to the male? The male seems kinda startled.

Benjamin Goh

The apisto "fever" struck me today!

I bought A. Eremnopyge " Rio Itaya" and A. Bitaeniata " Rio Maniti "

And I have Nannacara Taenia and Aureocephalus coming in from Czech as well !

Tom C

5 Year Member
....May I ask if it is normal for the female to show aggression to the male? ...
Yes, there are several situations where one could expect some aggression from the female towards the male.

- If the tank is too small,
- if there are not enough structures in the tank to prevent the two fishes to see each other all the time,
- if one of them is ready to spawn, but the other's not,
- if the female is about to or has spawned, she would "ask" the male not to stay close to her cave and eggs in order not to draw the attention of predators to the cave,
- if she doesn't like him (it's normally the female who chooses the partner),
- if there is a big difference in size,
- and of course: if they are different species!
Anyway; they usually will figure it out between them if the environment is satisfactory....

My experiences with this species is that they do best if the tank provides them with conditions close to what they meet in the wild....

(*Whispering so low that only Benjamin can hear it*:
The INTERNATIONAL CODE OF ZOOLOGICAL NOMENCLATURE (ICZN),
"Article 5. Principle of Binominal Nomenclature.
5.1. Names of species. The scientific name of a species, and not of a taxon of any other rank, is a combination of two names (a binomen), the first being the generic name and the second being the specific name. The generic name must begin with an upper-case letter and the specific name must begin with a lower-case letter" (highlights made by me) Thus: Apistogramma atahualpa, Apistogramma eremnopyge ..... )

hedylogus

5 Year Member
sorry, off topic, but had to ask.........is the ICZN also the official body that assigns scientific names? or do they just promote a standard?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
meghanbe

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….