• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Parananochromis updates

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
Both of the Parananochromis species I am working with (P. gabonicus and P. brevirostris) are spawning on a regular basis. The number of fry doubled with the second spawn from each pair. Hopefully I will not have sex ratio issues and there will be a lot available to spread around in a few months.

I have two pairs of the P. gabonicus that are spawning (one pair is on its second brood). I had two pairs of P. brevirostris, but one of the males died while I was away to the ACA convention. I have three ripe females that I am rotating the male to in hopes of getting multiple spawns (and gene combinations).

In both species it looks as if the female provides most of the care. I often see the females chasing the male away. Another clue that the males are not welcome is that the females are a bit ragged after a week or so of raising fry. To test this idea that females can handle to job alone I have pulled the male from on P. gabonicus pair, leaving the other with the mother and fry.

The first batch of P. gabonicus from a couple months ago failed. THe two new spawns lok great, and since I have no plans to be out of town for more than a couple days until November I hope that I will nto have any problems.

I first batch of P. brevirostris I separated from their parents just before leaving for my trip are all doing great. They are over 1/2" long now and starting to color up. They are still too small to sex though. I will jump for joy if I see differentiation in the brood.

westafrica

5 Year Member
Great news Ted! Congrats on your success & progress with both species (thank you too for the P. gabonicus videos posted on your blog, I posted the link on cichlidsforum.fr . Keep us posted! :)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AND

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….