• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Keep losing fry

mematrix

5 Year Member
:biggrin: Hi All. I recently aquired some A.borellii from David. Am thourly pleased with them. I have 1male 3 females and they have been spawning well but have had very little luck in them reaching freeswimming stage. Those that do 2 out of 5 spawns have only been 6 fry between the 2. I have gone over and analized everything I'm doing. The only thing and this is a theory But is only explanation My substrait is course gravel I think that when they are in larval stage and they are on the substrait that since they are always wiggeling that they work themselves down into the substrait and are unable to free themselves and die since I use a UGF its suction also helps in this process. What do you think? Any tips I think I am Going to lose the UGF and get a finer substrait or mix my gravel with #3-4 texblast sand still lose UGF though Am real tired of losing my spawns. Figured I would ask you all I am still new to Apistos and want to get better at keeping them.Sincerely Curtis :frown: :confused:

scott

5 Year Member
your gravel could very well be the problem. i had the same thing happen with a much large pair of Aquidens rivulatas a few years ago. i could actually see them stuck deep in the gravel right near the glass on the front of the tank. since then i use pool filter sand in my breeding tanks. i would guess that the undegravel filter would probably add to the problem as well, but i don't have much experience with that type of filtration. good luck! i hope you have better results with the next spawn.

cdawson

5 Year Member
If you're not having luck try pulling the spawn and artificially rear it, it's much better for feeding the fry in the first two weeks.

mematrix

5 Year Member
Re To Posts

farm41 said:
How long has the tank been up and running?
:redface: Hi farm41,cdawson,scott.And everyone else. My tank has been up and running for approx 2 mths since I did a major sterilization on my pond snail infestation got rid of those buggers I believe they were some of my problem before i got rid of them. It is well planted and seems to be doing ok I use a backpac filter in conjunction with UGF. I just did a water change today before reading this post I do a 30% wtchg every 2 wks. Cdawson,Scott unfortunatly I do not have extra tank to do your sugestion cdawson. I discovered that yet another one of the females is guarding eggs looked under pot and saw some eggs this was mon nite. So I can't lose my UGF so I took some pool filter sand and covered the gravel and placed the pot back on top I also placed a small piece of flat glass under the other caves and covered with sand ans placed caves/pots on top should keep sand from being sucked under gravel. Complications complications LOL. I realy apreciate the input got my fingers crossed again Oh I leave the lights on when fry are freeswimming to keep opertunistic preditation to min. Pics of my tanks are on my villagephotos link 10gal1 is Borellii tank 10gal2 is cacatuoides tank Sincerely Curtis :confused:

Cichlid Junkie

5 Year Member
I have heard that the fry could be reared in a plastic ice cream container hooked up to the side of your current tank. I don't have any experiance with it, but somebody here might.

mematrix

5 Year Member
re to cichlidjunkie

Cichlid Junkie said:
I have heard that the fry could be reared in a plastic ice cream container hooked up to the side of your current tank. I don't have any experiance with it, but somebody here might.
:biggrin: I did that with my rams using a 1qt jar when I had only 2 tanks 20 and 10 but only because my rams were lousy parents LOL. It worked real well ended up with about 100 fry had to get another tank after that LOL. Sincerly Curtis :tongue:

cdawson

5 Year Member
mematrix said:
:redface: Hi farm41,cdawson,scott.And everyone else. My tank has been up and running for approx 2 mths since I did a major sterilization on my pond snail infestation got rid of those buggers I believe they were some of my problem before i got rid of them. It is well planted and seems to be doing ok I use a backpac filter in conjunction with UGF. I just did a water change today before reading this post I do a 30% wtchg every 2 wks. Cdawson,Scott unfortunatly I do not have extra tank to do your sugestion cdawson. I discovered that yet another one of the females is guarding eggs looked under pot and saw some eggs this was mon nite. So I can't lose my UGF so I took some pool filter sand and covered the gravel and placed the pot back on top I also placed a small piece of flat glass under the other caves and covered with sand ans placed caves/pots on top should keep sand from being sucked under gravel. Complications complications LOL. I realy apreciate the input got my fingers crossed again Oh I leave the lights on when fry are freeswimming to keep opertunistic preditation to min. Pics of my tanks are on my villagephotos link 10gal1 is Borellii tank 10gal2 is cacatuoides tank Sincerely Curtis :confused:

unfourtuneatly without separating the fry from the parents you probably won't get any actual fish from a brood. Even a a 10 gallon will be adequate enough for raising a brood if you keep up the water changes.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
meghanbe

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….