• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Is this Apistogramma Macmasteri?

Hutchy1998

I have just bought a pair of Apistogramma and believe them to be macmasteri, labelled as "Viejeta II" Macmaster's Apisto. I'd be glad of confirmation of this and any info on them. Iam looking to breed them at some point.

Attachments

• 20240503_185436.jpg
    20240503_185436.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 45
  • 20240503_185629.jpg
    20240503_185629.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 40

MacZ

Yes, A. macmasteri. Almost all fish labeled "viejita" are just a domestic breed of A. macmasteri and 100% of "Viejita II" are definitely domestic A. macmasteri.

As these fish are pretty much ubiquitous in the hobby, maybe only grow out one clutch of fry as a practice in breeding Apistogramma, after that you might get problems selling them locally. So after that either move them to a display tank with lots of fry predators (like tetras) or separate the two permanently.

apisto_fan4evr

I too just bought a pair labeled as "Viejeta". I currently have several juvenile "Ashaninka" extreme red. Newb question, can/will they ("Viejeta" + "Ashaninka") breed? Are there any gotchas?

Frank Hättich

5 Year Member
I have no idea why some macmasteri are sold with the addition "Ashaninka" (which according to Google are an indigenous people living in the rainforests of Peru and in the state of Acre in Brazil, i.e. nowhere near the area in Colombia where A. macmasteri are found) but since your "viejita" are almost certainly macmasteri too, the answer is yes. Even if your "viejita" were true viejita there would be the possibility of cross-breeding because macmasteri and viejita are closely related species.

apisto_fan4evr

According to another forum member, there appears to be 5-6 variants and the "Ashaninka" is a Czech thing for a few years at least?

Apistogramma macmasteri
Apistogramma macmasteri var Rotschulter
Apistogramma macmasteri var Viejeta
Apistogramma macmasteri Rio Meta' Wild-Form
macmasteri var Ashaninka extreme red

MacZ

The use of "var." variation is typical of botanical classification and very rarely used in zoology.
In zoology "cf." (in my experience only for wild forms) and "sp." (for any constellation) are used mainly.
So to examine the names you listed:
Apistogramma macmasteri
Type name. All specimens, wild, wild-form or domestic breeds alike are this. As are all of the following.
To my knowledge used for a wild population/veriant, but also seen used as a tradename for your standard colour breeds. I have seen it labeled as A. macmasteri "Rotschulter" or A. sp. "Rotschulter"
The most frequently seen tradename. May have originated from an attempt selling ordinary domestic A. macmasteri as rare/expensive true A. viejita.
Well... wild form says what they are, same phenotype as the wild population, but tankbred.
Complete fantasy tradename, meant to sound exotic, overwhelming the casual fishkeeper. Whenever the trade notices a surplus in production, new names pop up. Most last a season, some get stuck.

Apistoguy52

According to another forum member, there appears to be 5-6 variants and the "Ashaninka" is a Czech thing for a few years at least?

Apistogramma macmasteri
This reads like every fish Red Fish Blue Fish has imported from the Czechs since Jason setup shop

anewbie

Apistogramma macmasteri
I hate to say it but these fancy names are just marketing ploy. While sometime they do refer to a colour or pattern frequently you never know how the fish will look until you buy it. As time goes on we will see more interesting names for the same old fish.

MacZ

I hate to say it but these fancy names are just marketing ploy. While sometime they do refer to a colour or pattern frequently you never know how the fish will look until you buy it. As time goes on we will see more interesting names for the same old fish.
That's what it all boils down to, yes.

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RamigLag

Latest profile posts

jloponte wrote on hongyj's profile.
Please send me info regarding cuipeua. Thx, Joe.
jloponte wrote on hongyj's profile.
Where are you located?
Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(