• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

German Blue Rams & Kribs

ironfists

Would German Blue Rams be able to coexist with Kribs? I have 4 german rams right now. 1 Male and 3 female and want to add Kribs. Will they fight or will both be peaceful with each other.

I have a 55gal with 4 gourami's 2 angels, the 4 rams, 2 mixed African cichlids, and 2 rosy barbs and a pleco. They all seem to get along.

Thanks,
Craig

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
I am sorry to say that I see mayhem in your tank's future. Rams and 'mixed African cichlids' (probably mbuna species) are a very bad combination for the rams ... and I wouldn't keep kribs with rams either. I think that you need to read up on compatibility of different fish species in a community tank.

Apistomaster

5 Year Member
Totally agree with Mike.
If your goal is to breed either species then set each species up in their own tanks.
Rams are not able to hold their ground with Kribs.

While many West African Dwarf Cicichlids and SA Dwarf Cichlids share similar water chemistry requirements they can't share tanks. The Rift Lake and East African Cichlids tend to be all hard water species needing a pH of 7.6 to 8.2.
Few SA Dwarf Cichlids can cope with those conditions.

Joe Gatchell

Yeah have to agree. Kribs although fairl peaceful in their own right would kill your rams if it came to blows. They share the same living space and spawning kribs wouldn't put up with your rams.

Christople

my kribs are picking on each other and I jsut want them to breed. Any suggestions. I do have one mel ram and I willl remove him to see if it makes a difference but why would he be the cause of the agression

kwesdog

I have tried and failed doing this. As others have stated the rams won't last long. Its not that the kribs attacked and killed them but more of a stress thing.

I would think that if you got only 1 krib you would be alright but a pair would cause trouble for your rams or not so hardy other tank mates.

Harry

kwesdog

my kribs are picking on each other and I jsut want them to breed. Any suggestions. I do have one mel ram and I willl remove him to see if it makes a difference but why would he be the cause of the agression

I have been spawning kribs for a couple of years now and even though they won't always pair right away its normally only a matter of time if the water conditions are good. I have had kribs spawn in a matter of 48 hours to a few months.

Harry

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JaconieMalonie

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….