• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Need help

jaidexl

5 Year Member
This little [girl?] hitchhiked in with a boxlot order, possibly from Peru. Would love to be able to get some same species tankmates, if I could figure the species out. Thanks in advance -J

72642159ps3.jpg

10611430yh5.jpg

87276164qt9.jpg

80877491jr1.jpg

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
I think that your fish is a young male(?) A. sp. Masken. The fish in the photo looks a lot like A. sp. São Gabriel from Brazil (upper Rio Negro).

jaidexl

5 Year Member
Ah geez, I didn't want to hear that one but found another pic that is super similar to this fish, so two votes for masken. These fish are confusing.

What happens if I hypothetically put masken together with regani? Hate, tolerated co-existence, maybe some affectionate intermingling??

jaidexl

5 Year Member
Ok, now I found this info that has regani in the taxonomy and the synonyms for 'masken'. This seems almost as ridiculous as aquatic plant identification, what am I getting myself into here? :confused: :tongue:

fishme.

5 Year Member
what is correct and you should now is that your fish is apistogramma sp "masken" and that it is in the regani group and regani complex

the apistogramma regani is another species

and yes , you got into the chaotic world of apistogrammas identification :rolleyes:

jaidexl

5 Year Member
Well, after reading more these last few days about Regani - Carapintada - Apache - Winkelfleck - Masken/Masked - Eunotus - yada yada yada, I'm pretty sure plant ID is way less hokey. :redface:

Dave Soares is telling me it's Eunotus now.:rolleyes: Most of the old discussions I've read concerning the confusion around these fish is from Mike and Julio, so I'm going to take your guys' word on "Masken".

Thanks for the help, everyone! If you hear of anyone selling these fish, don't forget me. -J

jaidexl

5 Year Member
Hmm, I haven't seen this pattern in any photos (not that I've seen too many online, anyway). The main thing I've noticed is the lacking red pattern on the operculum and side, whereas mine only has some faint red showing through the gill plate. Then again this fish is still young and just started to color up, so I suppose more color is yet to come.

K-pon, thank you. I'm in US though, Customs will fry my fish and eat them for dinner. :tongue:

jaidexl

5 Year Member
Hi everyone, I'm back. :biggrin:

I stumbled across this profile for Apistogramma sp. "Schwarzbrust", and wanted to know what you all think of it, possible match? Is it even a proper ID there? The main differences I see are dorsal and anal fin shape and the lack of black on the ventral fin, but that particular fish seems to be fading it's black all over.

Below are some current closeups of my fish in question.

apistoredqn8.jpg

apistored2nh7.jpg

Microman

5 Year Member
Definately not "Schwarzbrust" or eunotus variant....
Its regani group and i would go with Mikes ID of A sp Masken.

>Is it even a proper ID there?
I dont understand what you mean.... If you mean the ID on Toms site then you are looking at possibly the most up to date site on the web as far as Peruvian Apistogramma are concerned. Many collected and identified for the first time by Tom.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Your fish are not A. sp. Schwarzbrust. TomC & I collected Schwarzbrust in Peru (between Iquitos & Nauta) last October. Sadly they didn't survive to make the trip home.:frown:

jaidexl

5 Year Member
Thanks for the confirmations.

I did run across that thread, sorry to here you lost them. But, It's reassuring to know I'm getting first hand knowledge here, I know I'd be totally lost without you guys and you never know what to believe online. Can't beat advice from someone who had the critters in his hands. :tongue: Thanks again!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….