• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

A. psammophila female turned into fully functional male

martin_c

Member
5 Year Member
Messages
62
Location
Germany
Yesterday i witnessed that a wildcaught A. psammophila which was a mother 2 years ago is a father now.

I received a trio (1m, 2f) of wild caught A. psammophila in 2023. Both females were once rasing their fry simultaniously (3 weeks apart in age), so there can't be a mix up, they both were functional females.

Since about 1 year ago, i have only one of the wild caughts left, a female. Plus one small female from the offspring, which i decided to keep because it had damaged fins and was quite small. I've been keeping these two in a 250L community tank with 55 Paracheirodon simulans since then.

The large wild caught female turned more and more masculine over time and started flirting with the small female. They sometimes even spawned together. It caused them to fight hard over who is allowed to watch over the eggs after spawning. The first times i removed the eggs because i thought they can't be fertile anyway and i wanted to end the fighting.

Anyway, yesterday after not seeing the small female for some days i found it guarding some very small babies. The larger female (which now officially turned male) accepted it's role of protecting the outer area. Which is a tough job with all those neons.

I didn't expect that the former female mother was able to fertilize the eggs. But it did. Some will probably think i must have confused a fish with another, but i'm 100% sure i didn't.

I made this little video showing the smaller female to prove that there is fry. I'll try to make photos of the larger female that turned male soon (i switched off the light now to protect the fry).

 

KenL

Active Member
5 Year Member
Messages
354
Looking forward to the experts commenting on this.

The only cichlid I’ve ever heard that may do this is crenicara punctulata.
 

MacZ

Well-Known Member
5 Year Member
Messages
4,449
Location
Germany
The only cichlid I’ve ever heard that may do this is crenicara punctulata.
It has been documented for Dicrossus as well, I think it was D. warzeli. Also for several Malawi species. Considering this being not that uncommon in the superfamily of Percomorpha (perch-like), I'm not surprised that it happened, I'm rather positively surprised someone for ONCE thought of documenting this.
 

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
18,793
Messages
125,213
Members
13,675
Latest member
Phap

Latest profile posts

Re-designing and starting a new fish room all over again. This time we'll have many more Apistsogramma species. We are expanding.
dimandobson wrote on Arnold's profile.
hi
dimandobson wrote on Ben Bergman's profile.
Hi Bergman. I have a pair of breeding dwarf cichlid for sale. if you are still looking, drop me your whatsapp number and i will send some videos to your whatsapp
martin_c wrote on illumnae's profile.
Hi,

just in case you happen to live in Germany (or Netherlands): I have a wildcaught female A. psammophila, you could have it for free. I have no use for it anymore.

BR
Martin
Top