• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Tank mate

JacekJack

Hello guys, its my very first post on any forum...I don't know if im doing it right :) So my name is Jacek and recently I got my first aquarium its 100L 80x40x47hight. I fell in love with apisto cacatuoides and would like to pick up some in two days. also really like kuhli loaches. I read a lot of posts here about it and I know its not the best idea. my question would be it is do-able? like one male and two female, about 3 or 4 loaches, and some smaller fish that swim mostly in the middle and top of the aquarium, I wanna add more hidings and plants in the front aswell. Im not intresed in the breeding those pisto whatsoever so maybe changing some parameters in the water so its still nice to all the fish but make the apisto not spawn any eggs? or im dreaming at the moment? :D
IMG_20221031_140136.jpg

MacZ

my question would be it is do-able?
With certain prerequisites. First and foremost: A bigger tank footprint. And seeing what you have there... I'm having trouble with the idea.
Im not intresed in the breeding those pisto whatsoever so maybe changing some parameters in the water so its still nice to all the fish but make the apisto not spawn any eggs? or im dreaming at the moment?
Then simply get only a single fish. Ideal spawning parameters as usually also ideal keeping parameters, so purposefully offering bad parameters even if you certainly can provide good ones is a very questionable approach.

Otherwise I have some general comments:

- Replace the substrate. Whether you want Apistogramma or Kuhli loaches, fine sand is a must, just as leaf litter. Right now you have aquarium soil, which is nutrient enriched specialized plant substrate and barely any plants in it. So you might get into water quality trouble down the line anyway with it.
- Remove the rocks, instead get much more driftwood, pieces that reach high up and pieces flat on the ground providing structure. Twigs and branches reaching down from above are also a good way to fill up this open space at the top many fish won't use if they have alternatives with cover.

JacekJack

Okaay, yes I was consider one male aswell. I have bag of really fine sand at home but I was thinking it will go down to the bottom and the soil on the top thats why I didnt use it. So should I get the rid of all the soil and just use gravel and sand or will I leave some of the soil maybe in the back where the plants are? after I do those changes I be able to get the fish on saturday still? been waiting for so long :) thank you for advice man

MacZ

So should I get the rid of all the soil and just use gravel and sand or will I leave some of the soil maybe in the back where the plants are?
No gravel, no soil. Only sand. Plants don't require aquarium soil. Sure, some do better with it, but I haven't used it in any tank and still my plants do well. Admittedly, I prefer plants that feed from the water column. But e.g. I have a lotus which floating leaves cover almost half the surface of my tank. And guess what: It's planted in and I add less than 10ml of fertilizer per week.

after I do those changes I be able to get the fish on saturday still?
No. Patience is key. 2-3 weeks at least.

JacekJack

No gravel, no soil. Only sand. Plants don't require aquarium soil. Sure, some do better with it, but I haven't used it in any tank and still my plants do well. Admittedly, I prefer plants that feed from the water column. But e.g. I have a lotus which floating leaves cover almost half the surface of my tank. And guess what: It's planted in and I add less than 10ml of fertilizer per week.

No. Patience is key. 2-3 weeks at least.
okay, thanks for the info. Should I keep the soil or throw it away its Amazonia soil, been in water almost 3weeks.
still have to wait 2-3 weeks even tho I would use same water and tank is almost 3 weeks old?

MacZ

Should I keep the soil or throw it away its Amazonia soil, been in water almost 3weeks.
still have to wait 2-3 weeks even tho I would use same water and tank is almost 3 weeks old?
Honestly, I have zero experience with soil. I just know pretty much everything people are advertising it for is possible without it as well. The only real area of application I see for it is high-tech aquascaping with focus on plants, i.e. underwater gardening.
Sometimes you have to spend money on things you don't need to learn you don't need them.

JacekJack

Honestly, I have zero experience with soil. I just know pretty much everything people are advertising it for is possible without it as well. The only real area of application I see for it is high-tech aquascaping with focus on plants, i.e. underwater gardening.
Sometimes you have to spend money on things you don't need to learn you don't need them.
Luckly I didn't spend money on it, got it for free with aquarium. Soooo still 2-3 weeks? thanks and I won't bother you anymore.

MacZ

You're not bothering, I simply don't have much to say. ;)

But good, you haven't spent anything on it. Nowerdays beginners get advertised a lot of stuff that is not a bare necessity but optional or even superfluous. There are countries where people think live plants are only for advanced hobbyists and certain types of artificial substrates like soil or CO2 injection and a lot of other pricey things are a must to even have plants like anubias or duckweed thrive (kicker: Both require only average tapwater and an average light and that's it).
You will get a hang of deciding which things are really necessary and which you can safe money on over time.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….