• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Sanity check on potential stocking...

anewbie

I'm planning a 400+ gallon tank that is approx 13 months out. The dimension of the planned tank is 8ftx4ftx21ft (l,w,h). The target temp is 81 during winter and 83 during summer. My thought on stocking is 12-14 rams; 6 threadfin acara, 8 geo winemilleri, 40 cardinals (maybe some rummynose) and 12 sterbai - perhaps a few random plecos. I have no personal experience with threadfin acara and winemilleri other than readings. My understanding is both are fairly peaceful species though the threadfin might get a bit large.
-
If the threadfin are not a good idea would Laetacara curviceps be a reasonable alternative ?

MacZ

8ftx4ftx21ft (l,w,h).
8x4x2 or x1?

I see a bit of a problem with the plecos (nocturnal catfish vs. diurnal cichlids) and I can imagine with the Geophagus sifting and shifting the sand it might be harder for the dwarf cichlids to establish territories.
I have seen all of these fish, even in similar numbers, in big tanks, but either Geophagus + catfish + bigger tetra species or dwarf cichlids + tetras but never in that combination. Bit on the sceptical side here.

anewbie

8x4x2 or x1?

I see a bit of a problem with the plecos (nocturnal catfish vs. diurnal cichlids) and I can imagine with the Geophagus sifting and shifting the sand it might be harder for the dwarf cichlids to establish territories.
I have seen all of these fish, even in similar numbers, in big tanks, but either Geophagus + catfish + bigger tetra species or dwarf cichlids + tetras but never in that combination. Bit on the sceptical side here.
The planned height is 21 inches sorry about that. The pleco i can drop they were just sort of if something interesting fell that way.

anewbie

biotodoma cupido are a smaller geophagine species that may work better with the dwarf cichlids, they are also very pretty fish and are a true blackwater species.
They seem to be about the same size of the winemilleri or were you suggesting them instead of the threadfin acara ?

Aquaticloch

I would do maybe 10 cupido and 8 winemilleri if it were my tank, and yes i didn't make it very clear but they (Biotodoma Cupido) may be a better option than the threadfins which can get quite large and may go for the tetras if not for the sterbai.

You may want to go for a more robust corydoras species and in a 8ft tank you could likely add more, this may not benefit your dwarf cichlids if you want many fry to survive.

anewbie

I would do maybe 10 cupido and 8 winemilleri if it were my tank, and yes i didn't make it very clear but they (Biotodoma Cupido) may be a better option than the threadfins which can get quite large and may go for the tetras if not for the sterbai.

You may want to go for a more robust corydoras species and in a 8ft tank you could likely add more, this may not benefit your dwarf cichlids if you want many fry to survive.
I'll keep a couple of rams in dedicated breeding tank. Are the cupido ok at 82-83 degree? It wasn't clear to me from the info i found on the web as to prefer temp. Also they seem to prefer stagnated water - is this a requirement? I would think the winemilleri and rams prefer water with a bit (but not harsh) current.

Aquaticloch

The biotodoma should be fine in a slow current, not completely stagnant, also they should be fine in those temps, even anywhere from 76-85 should work well too.

Bowluvr

The majority of Corys don't do well in the higher temps the OP is listing, which is likely why they chose the sterbai. Those are some of the few regularly-available species that can tolerate (not actually prefer I believe) temps above 80F.

anewbie

Yea that is why i chose the sterbai but to be honest I might not put them in the tank. I could put in kuhli which are comfortable at 82 but not sure i'll go that route.

Bowluvr

Yea that is why i chose the sterbai but to be honest I might not put them in the tank. I could put in kuhli which are comfortable at 82 but not sure i'll go that route.
I honestly think the khulis might be a better choice. Less liable to have any run-ins with angry cichlids (and smart enough to get away/stay away in the first place).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….