• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Apistogramma Baenschi questions

Daneland

Hi everybody,
I shot a quick video. Is this courting behaviour is safe for female? Most of the times she is being chased. The female was much darker and now I thinking her shade is getting lighter. I know they turn to a small lemon when they are ready to spawn but I am not so sure it happens gradually. Is there anything I can do encourage them to spawn? What do you think about the general tank set up?
I have to tell; I am almost a newbie for Apisto and a complete noob for videography.
Cheers

Last edited:

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
.........I shot a quick video. Is this courting behaviour is safe for female?
No, the male isn't happy with the female, and wants to drive her off, so that another "better" female may appear. Some-one with more experience may be able to tell you whether this situation is likely to change.

I've not kept Apistogramma baenschi, but I think with pair forming Apistogramma (nijsseni group) species that a male and female isn't necessarily a pair.
What do you think about the general tank set up?
I think it is good. I'd add some more structural leaf litter at floor level, but other than that perfect.

I can't tell from the video whether you have any moss? I'm a <"great moss fan">. My only criticism would be your dithers are a bit fat.

cheers Darrel

Daneland

Hi all,No, the male isn't happy with the female, and wants to drive her off, so that another "better" female may appear. Some-one with more experience may be able to tell you whether this situation is likely to change.

I've not kept Apistogramma baenschi, but I think with pair forming Apistogramma (nijsseni group) species that a male and female isn't necessarily a pair.I think it is good. I'd add some more structural leaf litter at floor level, but other than that perfect.

I can't tell from the video whether you have any moss? I'm a <"great moss fan">. My only criticism would be your dithers are a bit fat.

cheers Darrel

HI Darel.

It will be a bit difficult to find new females. I hope they will settle in the end. I love moss but I dont know why I never managed to grow them in my tanks. Do you think the moss you sent me last time will survive low light low TDS tank? If so, how should I use it?
I think I fed my pencils too much to condition them for breeding. I will be more careful.

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
Do you think the moss you sent me last time will survive low light low TDS tank? If so, how should I use it?
Should be OK, I just leave it loose in the tank, I think originally it was fastened onto wood, but over time all the Bolbitis, Java Fern, Anubias and moss I have has ended up free "floating".

cheers Darrel

MickeM

5 Year Member
Hi everybody,
I shot a quick video. Is this courting behaviour is safe for female? Most of the times she is being chased. The female was much darker and now I thinking her shade is getting lighter. I know they turn to a small lemon when they are ready to spawn but I am not so sure it happens gradually. Is there anything I can do encourage them to spawn? What do you think about the general tank set up?
I have to tell; I am almost a newbie for Apisto and a complete noob for videography.
Cheers

Hi Daneland + all..

The situation looks normal..
As long as your female doesn`t have any broken fins and she can hide or get some rest from time to time.. this chasing is "ok" for now ...

The best thing you can do to come closer to a spawn is to favour her when feeding (maybe with the help of a pipette) .
Females are very dependent on enough amount of food to get into spawning-mood..!! ( No eggs to lay - No will+possibility to spawn !! )
She will change the behaviour towards the male when she is ready for it.. and seen from his point of view, he will not be spending any time on a unwilling female in his territory as long as there might come another/one who is..!!
This is why it often might take some time until a newly introduced "couple" settles down as a pair.. (Especially in community-tanks with many inhabitants eating all the food you put in....way ahead of the Apistos !!)
Mistakes with not feeding females properly after unsuccessfully spawning(or females living in community-tanks) is one the most common contributing reasons for "loosing" a female.. Enough feeding + a lot of hiding places prevents that !
Loosing a female can also happen if you (kindly/with best intention) change some/much water.., since this often trigger male spawning-mood.. (and then every fish but a female ready to spawn will be chased away with a more rough/reinforced aggression !!)

After every new spawning , males seems to have a little bit more patience .. and females learn how to handle male aggression/behaviours..!
(It looks like some kind of trust is built . at least with Apisto-pairs who are monogamous..)
Females can then be seen showing the belly to a male in a submissive way, although she is apparently not yet ready to spawn once again..

When your female looks like carrying eggs, you may change some water to start spawning within a day or two !!
This is a method I often use on Apistos which are usually quite "easy" to breed , or come from waters with relatively high pH ! ..

Cheers,
Micke

Daneland

Hi Daneland + all..
The best thing you can do to come closer to a spawn is to favour her when feeding (maybe with the help of a pipette) .
Cheers,
Micke

I tried to feed her but it is hard to see in the tank. I try to spray where possibly it is but dont know how efficient it is. Do you think taking the male to another tank for sometime and reintroduce will make any difference? I assume as no male to chase her away she will be more visible and I can feed her. (Or take her to another tank)

MickeM

5 Year Member
I guess you may take the male out for a while if he is way too tough , but not as a first option..(This behaviour will most probably stop when she has been accepted in his territory for the 1st time..)
Wait some time and just keep feeding them + keep an eye on how she is doing..
If they have not spawned or become closer to each other within 1-2 months I would consider on making a change somehow..
(I assume your "pair" have recently been put together?? )

Sometimes I`ve had problems(unbalanced pair), but then often when the female is larger than the male... This is not your situation from what I could see..?

One smart way to feed them is to put a small amount of food where the male or all the other fish are standing/usually fed, and then you immediately put in some more food ..but now at/in the opposite side of the tank.. for the female to eat.!!

Cheers,
Micke

Daneland

I lost the female. I don't know how she managed but she jumped out of the tank. It is a fully closed tank, there are a couple of small rectangular holes on the corners at the back for cable and air tubings, they are about a thumb size, still she managed to find her way out. It is sad.

Daneland

I lost the female. I don't know how she managed but she jumped out of the tank. It is a fully closed tank, there are a couple of small rectangular holes on the corners at the back for cable and air tubings, they are about a thumb size, still she managed to find her way out. It is sad.

MickeM

5 Year Member

Sorry to hear about the loss..
I`ve never experienced an Apisto jumping out of the tank before..., only killies , tetras, and other fish...
I watched your video again and can only see 3 things that might have contributed to this.

- The female being a small male.. Are you sure that the "female" really was a female ???

- Water-quality. Large waterchanges (?) + Aldercones resulting to ongoing "leakage"/influence the water ..??????
(I often mix prepared/concentrated Aldercone-water into the tank, but I don`t leave the cones in the tank. Maybe easier to maintain/control.???)

-
Few sight-barriers at the bottom of the tank... (Very easy for a dominant male to control "his"/the area ! )

Daneland

Sorry to hear about the loss..
I`ve never experienced an Apisto jumping out of the tank before..., only killies , tetras, and other fish...
I watched your video again and can only see 3 things that might have contributed to this.

- The female being a small male.. Are you sure that the "female" really was a female ???

- Water-quality. Large waterchanges (?) + Aldercones resulting to ongoing "leakage"/influence the water ..??????
(I often mix prepared/concentrated Aldercone-water into the tank, but I don`t leave the cones in the tank. Maybe easier to maintain/control.???)

-
Few sight-barriers at the bottom of the tank... (Very easy for a dominant male to control "his"/the area ! )

I think it was a small male. The seller said this batch was mainly males and he cant sell me females. I make me think that it was a male.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….