• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Apistogramma keeping & breeding

rasmusW

5 Year Member
Hey bart! That was a great read. Really beautiful fish. Do you have any experience in keeping Apistogramma atahualpa?

-r

Bart Hazes

Thanks. Atahualpa hasn't shown up yet at the places I'm getting my fish and right now my tanks are pretty full anyway. There should however be more Apisto profiles coming in the next few months, as time allows.

ButtNekkid

5 Year Member
do you mean, you want an article on A sp. Abacaxis or do you think i should start with A sp. Abacaxis, before jumping to A. atahualpa?

-r

Hi,

Sorry, that suggestion was meant for Bart.
For your guestion: I have no experience with A. atahualpa but My A. sp. abacaxis harem (1+2) has been interesting. Both females have had breeding "experiments", but no fry so far. Maybe my water is still a bit too hard.

Last edited:

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
All I can suggest with A. atahualpa is use a larger (area-wise) breeding tank. They grow large and are much more aggressive than most apistos. Oh, and they need soft acid water to successfully reproduce.

rasmusW

5 Year Member
Sorry to hijack your thread bart..
-Mike, do you think a 110 liter (80x35 cm), with lots of hiding places is Big enough for a trio?

Bart Hazes

A. sp. Abacaxis is actually quite likely to be next. I have a first spawn just reach young-adult stage but haven't seen any of the males develop the purple chin yet. I also observed some weird behaviour with this species that would be nice to put in the blog. Maybe the Easter long weekend is a good moment to write it all up.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Personally, I'd not put a trio A. atahualpa in anything smaller than a 30 gallon long (90x30cm) for a pair, but it really depends on how complex the decor really is. Also realize that A. atahualpa generally doesn't form polygamous groups so the female not chosen by the male will be in danger of being attacked.

rasmusW

5 Year Member
Thanks Mike! -i think i will make different plans then.

Looking forward to read your next article Bart.

-r

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….