• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Centromochlus perugiae (oil/honeycomb catfish)

M Hughes

Anybody have experience keeping Centromochlus perugiae (oil/honeycomb catfish) with apistos? They remain small (5-6 cm) and are apparently surface feeders, which bodes well for apisto fry. SeriouslyFish suggests that they are "safe with all but the smallest of fry." Do you think a single specimen in a 40 gal tank (36x18x16") would be alright? I'm only looking to casually breed A. cacatuoides, so as long as I don't lose too many fry, I may give it a shot. Thoughts?

Drayden Farci

5 Year Member
They *love* to hide in wood. Definitely have lots of driftwood with folds and holes for them. You might not see them all day sometimes. They appear as though they would eat fry, but I know very little about the fish - only watched them.

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
Do you think a single specimen in a 40 gal tank (36x18x16") would be alright?
I'm not sure how they get on on their own.
They *love* to hide in wood. Definitely have lots of driftwood with folds and holes for them. You might not see them all day sometimes. They appear as though they would eat fry, but I know very little about the fish - only watched them.
I couldn't re-find it, but there is a thread on PlanetCatfish (it isn't easy to search PlanetCatfish threads) where Eric ("bekateen") kept some similarly sized Corydoras diphyes and Centromochlus perugiae fry together and found that the Centromochlus fry were eating the Corydoras fry, even though they were similar in size.

Found it, towards bottom of page: <"PlanetCatfish: Centromochlus.......">.

cheers Darrel

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JaconieMalonie

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….