• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Wild caught Baenschi

BillyBlanks

5 Year Member
I am amongst the first in australia to receive Ap. Baenschi. However these fish looked rather unlike the large healthy specimens in photos. I managed to see 6 fish from the 'wild shipment' that all looked rather emaciated, and varied in size. Some fish are also very laterally compressed ie. not having high backs. I would have thought this more a symptom of inbreeding and malnutrition. How is it that wild specimins can come in poor shape and colour? wouldnt natural selection weed them out of the wild biotope? I had the preconception that all wild fish were large and healthy.

I will attempt to show pics soon.

blueblue

5 Year Member
Hi Billy, there are some wild-caught inka50 (Ap. Baenschi)
that looked ugly: Pale body, low dorsal fin, and broken fins in many places...
but it is rather NORMAL if the fish are transported in a big bag with
a lot of fish... In Hong Kong, some importers used to bring in a lot of
poor quality wild fish (of course, the price is also low)... while they could
be much more beautiful after keeping for some time... so, you could
also try...

BillyBlanks said:
I am amongst the first in australia to receive Ap. Baenschi. However these fish looked rather unlike the large healthy specimens in photos. I managed to see 6 fish from the 'wild shipment' that all looked rather emaciated, and varied in size. Some fish are also very laterally compressed ie. not having high backs. I would have thought this more a symptom of inbreeding and malnutrition. How is it that wild specimins can come in poor shape and colour? wouldnt natural selection weed them out of the wild biotope? I had the preconception that all wild fish were large and healthy.

I will attempt to show pics soon.

BillyBlanks

5 Year Member
Thanks blueblue, so it is normal to see ugly wild caught specimens. Well I hope I can look after my fish well so they fatten up and become nice. Hopefully my male can grow his dorsal extensions out aswell with soft water and good food:)

BillyBlanks

5 Year Member
Another thing I noticed about these fish is that the male has black on the ventral fins. He has red edging on the tail fin, dorsal extension and elongated ventrals, so I am 90% positive its a male. Has anyone else seen male Inca with black ventrals?

blueblue

5 Year Member
Hi Billy: I am sure after your good care, the fish will become beautiful and
strong!! ^.^

BillyBlanks said:
Another thing I noticed about these fish is that the male has black on the ventral fins. He has red edging on the tail fin, dorsal extension and elongated ventrals, so I am 90% positive its a male. Has anyone else seen male Inca with black ventrals?

Black ventral.... hmm... it could be a male and i did see some
"male" inka50 with black ventral... usually the smaller ones...
Does its body look blue or brown?

So, do you have photos to share with us?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….