• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

What do I do now?

Matthew Clark

5 Year Member
Well, I returned home today to find that I have my first apisto spawn! A pair of cacs in a bare quarantine tank(convienent for me, I guess). So, what do I do now? Water is pH 6.5, GH and KH undetectable(Ro water revitalized with Kent RO right)temp 82. Will the mother keep the fry in the pot for a while after they hatch? When should i start feeding a first food? I have soe brine shrimp eggs ready- when shoudl, I start hatching those? I would appreciate any and all info as I have never raised fry before.

Matthew Clark

Z Man

5 Year Member
Congratulations Matthew,

There's not much to do but keep an eye on the parents. The female may tolerate the male in with her but again she may not. If you find him up in a corner pressed against the glass he has to be removed. You may see some torn fins and that's a sign to remove him too. The male never takes care of the eggs or fry anyway. You don't say what else you have in with them such as Java moss or Java fern, extra flower pots or caves. It all makes a difference. Sponge filter?

Anyway at 82 the eggs should start to wiggler in about 4 days and you may see them on the tank bottom inside the pot moving around. Sometime they keep sticking them back up on the inside wall. It will be another 4 days before you see the mother bringing them out to eat So to help with your question, figure either 6 days from now or 2 days after they wiggle to get the shrimp going. Lots of java moss is great for the fry to pick at when growing up. I feed BBS to my adult Apisto's all the time so I always have at least 2 different batches going all the time.

Good luck. Just enjoy.
Z-Man

Neil

Matthew,
Way to go! Female cacatuoides usually tolerate the male in the breeding area, so that shouldn't be a problem, but do keep an eye out for that. If there is nothing in the tank with them, you will need to feed them several times a day starting about next Tuesday or Wednesday. I would put a little BBS in the tank even if she doesn't have them out and about by Wednesday. But, if you have a bare bottom tank, you will need to watch the perms, because an organic build-up from a lot of feeding can crash the pH quickly with such low hardness. Good Luck and Congratulations.

farm41

5 Year Member
Congrats Matthew,

I never could have thought that having a pair of tropical fish spawn at home could be so exciting, but, it is. I just had my first fry last week and we are just thrilled.

I wish I had mine in a bare bottom like you, but mine are in a tank with a couple other female cacs. It's kind of rough going at times, I'm down to 7 or 8 fry now out of 12 or so to start with.

good luck with yours

Matthew Clark

5 Year Member
Z-Man, Neil,

Thanks! So far she is keeping them, so I'll kep my fingers crossed...

Tank contains two flowerpots and a sponge filter.

Is BBS suitable as a FIRST first food? Or should I start with something like infusoria or egg yolk?

What about the male? She hasn't been beating on him too bad. Will he pose a dnage to the fry, or just ignore them?

Thanks.

Matthew Clark

Z Man

5 Year Member
So far, so good. Nice going! First of all I would NEVER suggest egg yolk! I have seen it tried and it gets real messy and fouls up a tank real fast if uneaten. Live baby brine shrimp can be eaten by every Apisto I have ever bred & I have bred 26 different to date. When she brings them out to feed, she may tolerate the male around and she may not. This is another time you have to watch very carefully. She will take them back in the pot every evening and bring them out again every morning. Just please, never think of using egg yolk.
Z-Man

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grey58

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….