• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

What are Pelvicachromis sp. Ogella ?

anewbie

I know they are in the same genus that contain kribs; but what are the specifics to this species? I did a 'google' search and they don't seem to pop up. Do they have a unique specific behavior, temperament or fairly similar to most kribs ?

MacZ

The fact that only one trader has had them on their stock list I would almost think it's a tradename that importer coined themselves. What I find interesting though, is that they say on that website the fish are tankbred from the Czech Rep. and there are no imports from Africa to Europe or the Americas. I even did a search in Czech, nothing.

The picture they have on their website looks a bit strange for a Pelvicachromis, maybe it's closer related to Nanochromis, Enigmatochromis or Wallaceochromis.

anewbie

The fact that only one trader has had them on their stock list I would almost think it's a tradename that importer coined themselves. What I find interesting though, is that they say on that website the fish are tankbred from the Czech Rep. and there are no imports from Africa to Europe or the Americas. I even did a search in Czech, nothing.

The picture they have on their website looks a bit strange for a Pelvicachromis, maybe it's closer related to Nanochromis, Enigmatochromis or Wallaceochromis.
Well that trader is very knowledgeable so I'm not sure it is a tradename. I know that most non-common fishes are not being imported from africa and can mostly only be found tank bred due to deteriorating conditions. I remember reading an article a month ago about there being many interesting fishes that have left the hobbist trade but can no longer be obtained due to dangerous conditions in africa.
-
Anyway my tought is that it was a fish that had been obtained a while ago and captive bred but you might be correct and it is mis identified.

MacZ

Anyway my tought is that it was a fish that had been obtained a while ago and captive bred but you might be correct and it is mis identified.
I don't even think it's misidentified proper, but rather just basically unidentified/unclassified.

Last edited:

anewbie

I don't even think it's misidentified proper, but rather just basically unidentified.
Quite possible. The article i mentioned above (should find the link) talked about a lot of different species of kribs and many unclassified fishes in the region as well as for the impossibilities for scientists to get into the area to study them due to safety issues.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DayanaSic

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….