• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Weired borellii

Red Baron

5 Year Member
Recently my borellii spawn but I did not notice till i was about to do water change , saw small fellows wiggling around .

What suprise me was that more babies follow the father around only about 10% follows the mum . Well is this normal ?

Cheers

Apistt_ed

fairly normal amongst borellii.. I've had borellii parent's split the group of young in two if there are no visible predators around or they are overwhelmed with the number one has to watch over.. I know it's happened to me and I've read it somewhere too.. it's normal... best wishes... john

cootwarm

5 Year Member
I had 3 female borellii with families in a 30 gallon tank. After about 4 weeks, 2 of the females turned their families over to the 3rd mother and returned to their caves to start another batch a piece.

I can't say for absolute positive, but I don't think this mother ever spawned again herself, but was kept busy caring for a continuous supply of foster children. The 3rd mother became the official 'nanny', while the other 2 spawned every 4 weeks like clock work.

Michael

cootwarm

5 Year Member
This reminds me of a funny story when I first got my viejita to spawn.

When the fry first became free swimming, 'Dad' would take half the young and 'Mom' took the other half. Well Dad was very careless and swam too fast and left many stragglers behind, where they fell prey to the tetras.

Anyhow, by the end of the day, he had lost most of the fry he started with. So come morning the batch had about a 40% population decline due to 'Dads' carelessness and didn't he lead off half the survivors! He did this for 3 or 4 days and there were no fry left.

Mother was pretty upset, but she let him do it again with the very next spawn! So that was enough for her! After Dad lost the second batch, she never let him even come anywheres near the fry again.

Michael

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….