• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Water Chemistry

Levin Tilghman

5 Year Member
I know that my tapwater here is moderately hard, with a ph of around 7.5. Would it be best to add RO water to lower the Ph? Or should I attempt to lower it by adding chemicals or an aquarium product specifically suited for this?

anewbie

You should focus more on tds than ph and it depends on the species of fish as different fish have different requirements.

gh and kh are also useful numbers.

Apistoguy52

Kinda depends on what exactly your tap water looks like. Moderately hard isn’t very specific.

If breeding is the goal, I would probably advocate for a measure of RO to dilute the hardness, and a measure of muriatic acid to target the pH of your choosing.

In my experience, you can get away with hardness that is 10x, 20x higher than “nature” for some species as long as the pH is correct

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
Or should I attempt to lower it by adding chemicals or an aquarium product specifically suited for this?
You can't really make harder water "soft" by adding things, but you can make soft water harder fairly easily. As the others have said you can only really interpret pH if you have some measure of carbonate hardness.

Assuming that your water is hard and salts rich? Then RO (or Rainwater) are ways of making it softer via dilution.

You can burn out the carbonate hardness with an acid (which converts the HCO3- to CO2), but you've added an anion (in the case muriatic acid (HCl), a chloride ion (Cl-)) as well as a proton (H+) and raised the conductivity ("ppm TDS").

You can also reduce pH with "pH buffers", but you have the same "added things" issue and they don't really help.

cheers Darrel

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dkalmanson

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….