• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Wanted: breeder in Berlin!

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi Kat

Hi Kat,
Hope you are well, I heard you had gone to Berlin.
Hope things are OK, and I hope you get some fish soon.
cheers Darrel (still in Bath)

KittyKat

5 Year Member
Hi and thanks ;)

Hey Darrel! How is everything going? Yes, I moved to Berlin back in January, it was rather unexpected as Dave got the job offer start of December and had to start work in January.. I gave away most of your Apisto babies to friends all over the country, starting in Cornwall and Wales all the way to Birmingham and London (don't worry, same day delivery by yours truly to good homes only ;) ) but I did take the best ones with me to Germany so they are still here with me. I got a lovely male out of your second brood who turned out to be what I could call a "triple red" and I bought him a gold "triple red" female last week for breeding whom he now won't let out of his sight!

Thanks for the link Mike :)

dw1305

5 Year Member
Greetings and Poret foam

Hi all,
Hi Kat, nice to hear from you, I'm pleased he is a good fish, the last few males I've kept have all been nice and chunky, good fin development and well marked, although the fins would be more orange than red. A couple of people from the Bristol Tropical Fish Club have had some, Paddy (at Parkers) and G'man Graham.

I've got a question to ask of you as well, I've been trying to get some Poret foam, but nobody seems to sell it in the UK., is it easy to get in Berlin? I had about an hour in Stuttgart last month, but I don't speak german and I failed to find any.

cheers Darrel

KittyKat

5 Year Member
Poret foam and male size

I had a quick scrounge around online, but was unable to find any, so will ask my friend to check at my LFS when she picks up some fish for us tomorrow. If we don't have much luck, then I will email the company to ask where I can buy it. My spoken German is still not that great (you may as well read that as "non-existent"), but my manager says that my written is surprisingly good.. as do my colleagues.

And now a question for you: how big do your males get?

dw1305

5 Year Member
Poret foam

Hi all,
Thanks for trying Kat, much appreciated, a few people were interested in buying some poret foam. I'll ask approximately how much they had in mind (as I believe it's likely to be quite expensive?)

My last male cacatuoides (the late lamented "Troy") was about 8cm s.l. (just over 3") and chunky. The present one isn't quite as big, and is about a year old.

cheers Darrel

electric eel

5 Year Member
have you tried Glaser,Darrel?Stephan Tanner sells it over here(Swiss Tropicals) and the guy that owns Glaser and he are buddies(i believe thats what i read on Stephans website anyway)i think you can get it thru them anyway.i just checked his website Darrel and i was wrong.it was Aqua-global(ingo siedel) their website is all in german and i did'nt see poret filter foam on there but that does'nt mean they don't have it(i don't speak or read anything but english) if you e-mail stephan he might steer you in the right direction.

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
Thanks for the link to "Swiss Tropicals", Electric Eel. A very interesting site, (that originally arrived at via drooling over Brian's basement), that is what we want, poret foam for building Hamburg matten filters.

A friend ("Geeman" Graham, the famous Bristol Hypancistrus breeder), emailed Stephan recently, but I don't think he had any joy. It just seems ridiculous to buy foam that has come from Germany, gone to Ohio and then come all the way back to the UK.

I was hoping to pick some up when I was on holiday in Germany, but failed.

cheers Darrel

electric eel

5 Year Member
i checked into buying some hardbound compilations of issues of practical fishkeeping and the shipping from the uk was crazy.if i remember right it was 50 pounds or more.i did'nt get them just because of that.try aqua-global ,darrel.it could'nt hurt.stephan's home club is not too far from here and i go to their auctions sometimes.also sometimes see him at our meetings.i've spoken with him numerous times and find him to be a very nice,likable fellow but he,understandably,is probably pretty quiet about his scource for the poret foam.

KittyKat

5 Year Member
Re: Poret foam

Darrel, you might want to look here, here and here (last link is not real Poret). You are in luck as I will be visiting Bath/Warminster in December and can bring at least something back (so long as not too big), otherwise I would be happy to forward from here by means of Deutsche Post (or cheaper, by Hermes). :)

dw1305

5 Year Member
Poret foam

Hi all,
Cheers Kat, thanks very much for doing this. I'll liaise with Geeman Graham, and get back to you. If there is anyone else in the UK who might be interested in some could they pm me?
cheers Darrel

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….