• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Telling difference between male and female moliwe

DigitalBoy

5 Year Member
Hi. I just bought two awesome pelv. taentatis moliwe. I just wanted to double check, what are the main differences between male and female? Thanks.

Finatic_LasVegas

5 Year Member
boy v. girl

Hi there!

For krib types, it's relatively easy, even at a small size, to sex them. The females' pelvic fins are rounded or squared off, much more blunt than the males. The females tend to have much more belly color or irridescence (depending on the species). In moliwe, the females have pastel-colored bellies. The females also have shorter, chunker bodies. The males are longer and sleeker. As males age, their dorsal and anal fins are pointed, the females are more rounded.

Hope that helps!
Wendy

DigitalBoy

5 Year Member
thanks a lot

I can easily identify that one of them is female - she has a round belly and its rosy-purple. The other guy gives me some doubts - he is more bullet shaped but he has a yellow stripe and his belly is kind of pinkish blue as well, does this mean that this can be a female as well?

Thanks a lot.

Randall

5 Year Member
Sexing Pv. taen. "Moliwe"

Dear Digital,

Everyone here jumped on the band wagon to help you out before I had the chance! And, I believe, it's all very good information.

If you're still having doubts about the gender of the one fish, Wendy (Finatic Las Vegas) is right on. Look at the fish's pelvic fins. If the first ray is the longest: male. If the second or third ray is the longest: female. It's really that simple.

Good luck!

Randall Kohn

Neil

Sometimes it is really quite difficult to tell these guys apart at a young age. Unless you can really get a clear look at the ventral fins, they don't really seem paddle-like until the fish is more mature. Again, I think that it is a matter of trying to use several diagnostic criteria to get a more certain perspective. Belly color sometimes works in young fish. Caudal fin patterning may start showing up early (As Ted mentioned, females often start showing those black spots in the caudal early). But the ventral fin is probably what to really key on!
Neil

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mugsey2

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….