• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

tank re-org help needed

JasonC

5 Year Member
Hi all. so I am having some agression and space issues that I am hoping to resolve with a little tank re-organization. could you all help me and take a look at what I am thinking to see if this should work?

Tank 1: 20Long
current inhabitants: 2 Apistogramma baenschi (1m, 1 masculine female or male convert??), 4 black neon tetras, 1 otto.
Problem with tank. Dominant male is relentlessly picking on his tankmate... used to be a breeding partner.

Tank 2: 20Long
Current inhabitants: 2 Laetacara Dorsigara (i think) (1m/1f), 6 Ancistrus sp. "Pucallpa Gold" growouts.
Fully planted tank w/ light ferts and low/med. lighting

Tank 3: 10Gal
Current inhabitants: 2 Apistogramma sp. "Kelleri"
Problem with tank: Sits on low level shelf, fish extremely shy. Have heard that this species doesnt like being on lower levels of racks?

Tank 4: 10 Gal "quarantine"
Current inhabitants: 3 Nannostomus beckfordii, 2 Ottos, 1 female Apistogramma baenschii (recovering from injury from dominant male in tank 1), 1 Laetacara Dorsigara male I think... cast off from tank 2, but picking on everyone.
Problem with tank: I need to open this back up to be a quarantine tank.

Plan:
-move dominant male A. baenschi from tank 1 to tank 2.
-move A. Kelleri from tank 3 to tank 1
-move other A. baenschi from tanks 1 and 4 to tank 3 (experamental... want to see if they will breed together... to confirm sex change or not.)
-Ottos and pencilfish from tank 4 to tank 3

Goals:
- tank 1 to be a breeding setup for the A. sp. "Kelleri"
- tank 2 to be mostly a display setup, but the L. Dorsigara have paired up so I would not mind if they breed successfully. But will they be too agressive for a shy A. baenschi?
- tank 3 to be holding tank for calmer A. baenschi, and maybe if they breed...? ;P
- tank 4 back to being a quarantine tank, and holding tank for spare l. dorsigara til I can move him on.

Does this look like it would work? Any concerns you can see?

thanks!!

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
I like the idea of keeping one tank for a quarantine/hospital tank. As for the other options, you know your fishes' behavior better than we do, so use your best judgement.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….