• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Suggestion about filter

bengalman

hello members,recently i join this forum as my latest crash is all about apistogramma keeping.i keep discus for 6 years and now it's time to move on another south american cichlid sp.

i have a 22 gallon tank(24*12*18) and having a HOB filter (chinese made) claimed that it's filtration rate is 500 ltr/hr.but i doubt that i may get max 300ltr/hr.so i am planning to buy a eheim 2215 canister filteror sunsun HW303 for this.i have heard that apistogramma perfers slow movement of water.

i'll be highly obliged if you kindly put some light regarding this matter.

Bilbo

5 Year Member
I have become a huge fan of Sunsun over the last few years. I would pick one over an Eheim now because they are heaps cheaper, do a fantastic job and are almost silent but for a tank that small I wouldnt use a canister at all. I think a single sponge filter would be fine or just keep the small HOB.

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
I'd keep the HOB, they aren't very popular in the UK, but they are good for biological filtration. Personally I like Eheim Classics, but a 2215 is over-kill. I'd either get a 2211/2213 or as Bilbo says an air-powered/power-head powered sponge filter would be fine.I like 2 filters per tank, it gives you a spare for a quarantine tank, or if your other filter breaks down etc.

Are the dimensions right? 24"x12"x18" is about 60 litres or 12 UK (15 US) gallons effective volume.

I don't see flow as a particular problem, I use what-ever Eheim filters I can get 2nd hand, and some of them are much "too big" for their tanks. I don't try and restrict the flow through the filter, I just make sure I have a lot of plants and structure, and then I drill out/add more holes in the spray-bar to give a diffuse flow.

You will need a pre-filter sponge on the intake if you have a canister filter. Have a look at this post for some details: <http://www.apistogramma.com/forum/i...-fire-red-breeding-behavior.11018/#post-59302>.

cheers Darrel

bengalman

if i am not wrong it contains 22 US gallon.right now i am using tetra ex power canister filter.this canister filter has a flow control unit,so i adjust in such a way that those fishes don't fill unstable.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DayanaSic

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….