• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Stressed M. ramirezi female

tompoz

I have an issue with my ramirezi female. She was absolutely fine for two months, fully colored and spawned twice (however without success). Since I have changed the tank setup a month ago she is in a stress colors most of the time and runs away from the male who by the way is extremely fond of her. No signs of sickness, she feeds and breaths normally.

New setup has more hiding places so I doubt this would be a reason. May she just be exhausted from spawning? I was thinking about putting second female in so that "pressure" from the male would be lower on her? Any ideas?

The tank is 19 gallons, except for ramirezi there are 10 Axelrodia riesei, 5 Corydoras hastasus and 5 Otocincullus affinis.

killiguy

You dont fill us in on water parameters.As Im sure you're aware Rams like warm(+80)soft,slightly acid and very clean water.In my early days of fish keeping I had Rams that would do really well for a few months,even breed then become nervous and eventually die because the water wasnt perfect.These fish are quite demanding for long term maintenance.
If your water is perfect then it may be bullying and adding some more Ram females will help

tompoz

Thanks for reply. Water shouldn't be an issue. I do weekly change to RO, last measurements has shown pH at 6.5, kH at 6 and gH at 9. Temperature is 79-81.

Captain

What i would do in your situation is lower light intensity (if it goes, thinking on the plants) and even more hiding places. A new female could help to. Try to have places where the male doesn't see the female all the time. Plants, stones, roots etc. Try everything! And it isn't so expensive buying a new one, but from my own experiences they do have a better life alone.

tompoz

You can find a pic of my tank here. She has plenty of places to hide and she uses them but it does not help.

Anyway, as I am planning to have two pairs in new tank, I will get another female now and another male when new tank is ready.

Captain

Yes, it seem to be enough with hiding places, and the light is good for them. I think that she maybe have some brain damages, or that they can´t see each other as a threat or something. My pair of ramirezi died after a half year period because of what i still don´t know today. Great water values , hiding places, not so intensive light and no big fishes that could distract them. They just died. The female died first (probably from the stress) and one month later the male too.

I think that somewhere I heard that in nature the males has their own territory and that groups of females are swimming around these territories, and when they get older they form couples.

If you have two pairs and the females get stressed again, try with taking away one of the males and see what happens then.

Apistomaster

5 Year Member
Rams do need incredibly good water quality. Think Discus then go a little further. 25% to 40% water changes daily are not too much. In less than perfect conditions most pairs of Rams will spawn a few times then begin to decline in health. Even in perfect conditions Rams usually do not live much more than 2-1/2 years. They are one of those fish which burns very brightly but doesn't live very long. Maybe they have always been this way but I think it is especially true of the selectively bred forms.

tompoz

If you are interested what happened: I have put another female in. The male instantly became very interested and soon they formed a couple. Another female was still stressed. So I have put in another male. There was some pushing between the males but after a day or so the "old" male kept to the right side of the tank and the "new" guy stayed on the left. The stressed female did not change her behavior. She stayed aside.
And then the pair spawned. One day later I found the new male dead. So that would be it concerning peacefulness of Rams. Apparently he was killed by the "to be" father. :-(
BTW - it happened in a new tank, 50 gallon one.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mugsey2

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….