• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

"Steel Blue" sexing

fishkit

I have a trio of Apistogramma "steel blue", not quite sure what the verdict on their species is, but either way I'm trying to figure out if I have males or females. I originally thought three males, but now I'm thinking one might be female. here are some pics of the three fish. One is almost solid blue, so i'd like to breed him (or what I believe is a him)
DSC_2949.JPG
DSC_2951.JPG
DSC_2993.JPG

gerald

5 Year Member
All three look like males to me. Photo #1 does have shorter fin extensions, but I think they're still too long for a female.
Just guessing, but the commercial breeders might use temperature or hormones to produce all males, like they do with dwarf gouramis.

fishkit

All three look like males to me. Photo #1 does have shorter fin extensions, but I think they're still too long for a female.
Just guessing, but the commercial breeders might use temperature or hormones to produce all males, like they do with dwarf gouramis.

Yeah, I was worried about the fin extensions. They all flare at each other, but they're in a 125g. Thanks for your help :)

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nanotankfun

Latest profile posts

jloponte wrote on hongyj's profile.
Please send me info regarding cuipeua. Thx, Joe.
jloponte wrote on hongyj's profile.
Where are you located?
Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(