• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

spawning dress

naggur

5 Year Member
hey there! I'm wondering how can I tell if the asian form ram is in spawning dress? I dont know the age but tehey are about 1" long now (just got them 2 days ago) and how many eggs do they develop? (that is min and max) and ect.?

scott

5 Year Member
naggur,

the female will develop a pink belly when it's spawning time. the largest spawn i have ever heard of was over 450 eggs. the rams i have average about 60-100 eggs. i have noticed with my rams that once the female lays the eggs the male drives her off and assumes all responsiblities of brood care until the fry are free swimming then the female takes half and the male takes half. at this point i usually remove the fry to a growout and allow the pair to begin courting again.

naggur

5 Year Member
ok now I know that, any way it wont happen untill I get 30g tank or larger ( might happen soon) when it happen I'm gona keap the parents with the fry and see how that comes out an will tell ya what happens.

later sir

scott

5 Year Member
my rams spawn regularly in a 10 gallon tank. although the fry must be moved to a grow out tank a few weeks after they become free swimming so they don't get stunted.

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
joen714

Latest profile posts

jloponte wrote on hongyj's profile.
Please send me info regarding cuipeua. Thx, Joe.
jloponte wrote on hongyj's profile.
Where are you located?
Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(